massey ferguson 540 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default massey ferguson 540

I am thinking about buying a massey ferguson 540 combine for a guy who lives close to me. I know absolutely nothing about a massey. I currently plant about 70 acres of corn and soybeans and I am harvesting it all with two john deere 40 combines. I am looking to upgrade to a larger combine and was wanting to know if a massey ferguson 540 is considered a good machine. I believe i can get the combine for around $3500 with a 4 row 38" corn head and a 13' bean head. I am just wandering if anyone has any experience with these combines and if there is any thing in particular I should look for before I buy the machine.
2rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Make sure the seperator clutch and counter shaft are in good shape,just replaced one on a 550 mf. the price of the clutch wasnt bad but the shaft and bearings were pricey.
tf9500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think they're decent combines. But you'll have trouble getting a narrow corn head for it.
bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advise. The combine is close enough that I can drive it home so that is a big plus. I am not set up to plant narrow row corn so I guess if I decide to go to 30" rows I would have to get a new planter and combine. What I am really wondering is does the 540 have a variable belt drive similar to my 40s or are they hydrostatic or what. I am having a hard time finding much information about these machines on the internet. Thanks for any help.
2rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

To the best of my knowledge a 540 is a smaller version of the 550 (which we once owned). They should have a 3 speed gear drive with variable speed or could have a hydro. On a side note to tf9500 about the separator clutch and counter shaft, if you look behind the big pulley that runs the A/C compressor there is an unmarked grease zerk. It took 3 clutches going out to figure this out. The bearing on that counter shaft would go out and take the clutch with it. You should be able to use a 43 or 1143 corn head on it. You may need some weight on the rear to hold it down. Hope this helps
mnjosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

2rod

I farm 250 acers of corn and soybeans with a MF 540. Our combine has 5500 hours on it and I think they are a very good little combine. The 540's never had a hydro, it will be a 3 speed with variable speed. The 4 cylinder Perkins diesel is very fuel effecient. They are also a very simple machine. There is no counter shaft on a 540. The seperator drive is engaged by an overcenter tenshioner pulley. The cylinder vari-speed drives off the rear beater shaft. If you have any questions about the 540 please feel free to e-mail me at St.linefarmer@yahoo.com we have had this combine sense it was new.
statelinefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
gbs

it is a modern version of the 300
gbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Actually it is a more modern version of a 410,not a 300.
hammerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

hammerman the 410 was a smaller version of a 510 w/coutershaft & machine clutch, the 300 & 540 are the same machine with overcenter belt pulley drive.
twinstacks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Does the 300 have a 37 inch cylinder like the 410 and 540?
hammerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.