965B Transmission failure - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I've heard of three 875b tractors in my area that have had to he same catastrophic trans failor you are talking. All three have also gone out during high speed roading.

After I heard of these I have slowed mine down on the road. I'm not sure if it's the high speed or just a quinsidence. My 875c was just in for transmissions updates. They had the whole tractor torn apart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
interesting? got about 2500 hrs on and 865b bought as a demo unit, so far ours has never been touched, might need to look into this. I have never heard of one failing yet, not a lot of them out here but enough of them. I always thought the tranny was the only thing Cat could get right, I could tell ya lots of stories about junk engines, smaller ones especially, the c18 seems pretty tough as I have expected the way some guys drive there tractors around here there would be some blown up by now but just one so far, but it took a drink of water.

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred123 View Post
Why would you trade with such low hours? having issues with it?
No, we just don't use it. We do almost everything with our quadtrac. Pretty expensive piece of art sitting in the shed.
alfred123 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man View Post
I've heard of three 875b tractors in my area that have had to he same catastrophic trans failor you are talking. All three have also gone out during high speed roading.

After I heard of these I have slowed mine down on the road. I'm not sure if it's the high speed or just a quinsidence. My 875c was just in for transmissions updates. They had the whole tractor torn apart.

Thanks for all the replies and sympathy!! I sold the tractor last winter though so just feel really bad for the nice young man that bought it. I do not think there was anything wrong when I sold it, and that it could have been due to the high speed roading for a long distance. I never drove it more than 12 - 15 mph pulling the drill.

What are these "transmission updates"? Anything related to thrust washers in planetaries?
the geeze likes this.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Challenger 965B transmission failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man View Post

Thanks for the input to this question of the Cat TA 22 16 speed transmission reliability. The end result of this one from early May was that the thrust washers on some or one planetary gear in the transmission failed at 20 MPH on the road resulting in a $50,000 work order. Agco is saying that these tractors are made to go that fast and it is not speed related. I am starting to think that it may be entirely speed related. How are those planetary gears lubricated? If it is just a splash type system and they are spinning really fast at road speeds for long periods, maybe they do not get enough oil and therefore start to get hot and eventually seize , which causes the catastrophic chain reaction of destruction. Agco does not want to talk about this type of logic. But then what are all the updates that we hear about supposed to be correcting? Why all the secrecy ? I just want to know what is causing these failures. If these tractors have a 10 mph speed limit then say so. We can't afford the cost or downtime of another failure like this spring. However Agco is saying it is not speed related so what is causing the failure. Any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA
cat man likes this.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Little late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxial View Post
However Agco is saying it is not speed related so what is causing the failure. Any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Little late on this thread... Sorry ... We had a 965C transmission fail at high speed as well. Upon disassembly we found much the same issues. One of the two planetary assemblies looked like it got hot and seized the planet gear. This shattered the gear and broke the main case. Most of the issues with these transmission was software or clutch pack related. We rebuilt lots of 865B and C series transmission and differential steering units.

In answer to your question I think high speed road travel is part of the issue but not the whole... Lube pressure in these transmission is low... Meaning RPM is key to correct lubrication of transmission...

The only other thing to watch out for is over filling the transmission. It will heat and cause internal damage...
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by service101 View Post
Lube pressure in these transmission is low... Meaning RPM is key to correct lubrication of transmission...
Can you clarify? Do you mean engine RPM? As in run the engine at higher RPM to maintain higher lube pressures? Thanks

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Did the older ones ( like an 85C) have transmission issues as well?
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Can you clarify? Do you mean engine RPM? As in run the engine at higher RPM to maintain higher lube pressures? Thanks
I have been told 1800rpm minimum to maintain higher transmission lube pressure. The same mechanic also told me that's what he tells the versatile owners with cat power shifts
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Your correct... Anything under 1800 rpm you taking a risk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page