965B Transmission failure - Page 3 - The Combine Forum

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
Did the older ones ( like an 85C) have transmission issues as well?
No the 75, 85, 95 series had pretty good transmissions. The problem with the older tractors is hyd flow is insufficient for todays requirements. Also wet muddy conditions you can get track slip easier due to design...

whtbaron likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
I have been told 1800rpm minimum to maintain higher transmission lube pressure. The same mechanic also told me that's what he tells the versatile owners with cat power shifts
Quote:
Originally Posted by service101 View Post
Your correct... Anything under 1800 rpm you taking a risk
Rats! I was enjoying the low end torque on the C18, running 1500RPM on the drill. Of course, nowhere near full power so maybe not much strain on things for that job anyways...

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
No the 75, 85, 95 series had pretty good transmissions. The problem with the older tractors is hyd flow is insufficient for todays requirements. Also wet muddy conditions you can get track slip easier due to design...
So would they work on a smaller air seeder (35 to 40 ft) or just not enough oomph for an air seeder at all? I've been doing everything with 2 wheel drive until now (just a hoe drill) and I've seen some of the older CATS coming down to my budget. Thought I might be able to snag one and get a small air seeder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 06:28 PM

This sounds like versatile cat powershifts are affected as well. Does this affect all cat powershifts in versatile or just some from the last few years. I'm just curious since it looks like from what happened here you buy a good used one run it for a few hours and the transmission blows.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
Little late on this thread... Sorry ... We had a 965C transmission fail at high speed as well. Upon disassembly we found much the same issues. One of the two planetary assemblies looked like it got hot and seized the planet gear. This shattered the gear and broke the main case. Most of the issues with these transmission was software or clutch pack related. We rebuilt lots of 865B and C series transmission and differential steering units.

In answer to your question I think high speed road travel is part of the issue but not the whole... Lube pressure in these transmission is low... Meaning RPM is key to correct lubrication of transmission...

The only other thing to watch out for is over filling the transmission. It will heat and cause internal damage...
Do you think that oil samples would show any indicators of failure, if you were to pull a sample at the same time you change the engine oil? Or are the types of failures that are happening not going to show up on an oil test?
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
So would they work on a smaller air seeder (35 to 40 ft) or just not enough oomph for an air seeder at all? I've been doing everything with 2 wheel drive until now (just a hoe drill) and I've seen some of the older CATS coming down to my budget. Thought I might be able to snag one and get a small air seeder.
Own 65A closed centre 25 gallons would run an older Concord or older flex-coil like a 2320. Actually finished seeding one year with our 65. Pulled a 4812 Concord/JD787 combo when pinion bearing on 85c went doing some major damage, good load, worked good. Good old 3306 awesome little tractor. 85c ran a 2008 flexi 4350 mechanical/48ft Concord drill. 95E will pull 60 shanks easy with a 2012 430 1910 cart. Just a little light when it gets gooey on the bigger drills. Pretty easy on fuel.
So the A's have 25 gallon pumps. The A would run some of the bigger newer tanks but the hydraulic reservoir is a little small and oil get's pretty hot. B's were the same I think. C's have an optional 35 gallon pump. E's i think were all about 42 gallon pumps.
whtbaron likes this.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 712alberta View Post
Do you think that oil samples would show any indicators of failure, if you were to pull a sample at the same time you change the engine oil? Or are the types of failures that are happening not going to show up on an oil test?

Usual failure is clutch pack H or 7 burning up or planetary failure... Oil samples may give you some indication that you have an issue, If you have set your baseline oil sample and you sample every 100 hrs... I have not been able to trust them. Usual tattletale is in sump screen for transmission. You will see clutch material.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 01:36 PM

Back in 2010/2011 AGCO had a campaign running to change software for clutch pack fill times (overlap). The new software was supposed to fix clutch H from burning. I think the bad shift was 4 to 5 if I can remember.... Since then transmission failures have slowed but not stopped. I am unsure if Versatile has the same issue as I have never been into one. But If the same transmission arrangement is used I would think they are seeing the same.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:11 PM
jmf

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So the best things to do are keep the rpm up over 1800, and don't run it to fast down the road? Are there any other updates to ask dealer about?
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf View Post
So the best things to do are keep the rpm up over 1800, and don't run it to fast down the road? Are there any other updates to ask dealer about?
You can ask your dealer if your Tractor has been in for the updates. It depends on model and serial number break. Most of them got completed in Sask area... As for new tractors I am unsure as I no longer work with challenger tractors.

I am still on the fence regarding high speed roading... I think as long as your RPM stay above 1800 you will have sufficient lube pressure. I do not think Roading alone is the root cause of the failures...

Last edited by service101; 02-23-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page