2006 mt855...whats the good and bad? - The Combine Forum

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2006 mt855...whats the good and bad?

Ive always wanted a mt 855 and finally am close to getting one. Im used to the 30 series John Deere track models and after driving a mt cant understand how john deere even attempts to sell theres anymore. There was no comparison how much further ahead the challenger is so just wondering am i missing something? whats the good and bad of the mt 855. this is a 2006 model with low hrs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not gonna claim to be an expert on these things because I have only had an 865E for one season, but here is something to get the ball rolling:

Good
>Excellent torque
>Reliable machines(I had zero downtime all year)
>Stays clean in mud
>Easy entry and steps all around to clean windows, etc.
>Good on fuel
>Good powershift transmission

Bad
>Cab is a bit noisy. Mine has certain gears that have more of a whine to them. Ended up buying Bose QC25 noise-cancelling headphones...problem solved!
>Hydraulic remotes are prone to fail. Solenoids or something back there needs replacing and requires a tech to program new one when installed.
>Stock lighting is poor.
>Fuel tank smaller than some 4WD's I have run but maybe similar to what you are used to. Mine was flashing one bar on the gauge the other day and I squeezed 985 liters into it.

I can't comment on Deere's machine, haven't run one.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
You'll be pleased with the machine. I'd echo SWMan's comments. We had over 4000hr's on our 865B before we touched a wrench to it other than oil changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Also running an 865B.

Have had 2 injectors fail in 3000hrs other than that life has been sweet, not sure if the 855 would have had the C15 or 18 but I believe it should have the 18

Maintenance is not to shabby with only 2 grease zerks on the tractor that I am aware of.

Oil in the idlers is a bit of a pain but is with all track machines. It does need to be changed often because the rear idler bearings on the axle are notorious for going around 2000hrs. So far I have not had to replace one. Planning on replacing this winter as PM

It's a good tranny but shifts slow, cant be in a hurry with it.

Contrary to what SW said ours has the high end Night Breaker lights witch to me is far superior to Case IH, I think mostly because of hight. Deere is pretty good about lights so you may not even notice a difference if you got the good package. We have made some upgrades to ours making it pretty awesome

I have never had any SCV failure of any kind either

Any questions I would be happy to answer

God Bless America
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
We loved our 855A model tractor. It did everything we wanted with it but in our steep hills the 15L engine was a little lacking for us but still impressive compared to the competition's engines. Our only problem was one reaction arm bearing in 4500 hours and idler bearings on the fan belt. Otherwise there were a few field campaigns along the way but we didn't have any failures before those items were changed over the years. If you are pulling heavy loads then make sure you get some ballast on the tractor. For us the idler weights help get the front of the track on the ground for traction and the mid weights help it turn under load as does the hydraulic swinging drawbar. We have saddle tanks on the front for fertilizer so don't have the front weights. Our tanks are out over the front of the tracks so when loaded they really help it bite.

Our C series have had reaction arm bearing issues. Not sure if they are getting better or worse with the updates. Be prepared to change reaction arm bearing oil religiously at 500 hours or if in severe conditions with engine oil change at 250 hours. Our 865C with the 18L engine is a beast compared to about anything else out there. We have had some issues with the modules for the SCV valves on the C series but never on the older ones. We don't really have mud holes so not an issue although we may have muddy conditions that will stop about anything on the hills but the two tracks are the first ones to get going again versus quad tracks.

If you find a good used one then go for it. They should last a long time.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just bought an 865b. Getting a pm1 service now at butler. Very excited to have a machine with torque after having a 550 quad
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the responses, its good to know the reliability of a future purchase. Looking forward to the change to the Cat Challeneger.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:15 PM

We have a MT 855 that we bought new in 2005. Over 10,000 hours on it now, and outside of tracks, less than 10.000 bucks in total repairs over its life.

Mid wheels, hubs, and bearings have been the main problems, but then again I have a lot of rocks. Clear View caps really cut down on the bearing bearing problems. Have replaced quite a few serpentine belt idler pulley bearings as well.

Cab is too noisy and too dusty (doesn't seal well). Other than that, best tractor that's ever been on this farm.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:42 PM

Garage
Change oil in mid wheel hubs on every 500h and change bearings on every 4000-5000h
for reaction arm have new shape bearings with little modification of hubs (no need to change hubs) after this mod reaction arm problem is fixed.

Cab is too noisy (ITS TRUE)

and too dusty (change or repair seals on picture) maybe can help ?
Attached Images
File Type: png pic2.PNG (69.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: png pic1.PNG (39.3 KB, 40 views)
LutzSK likes this.

Service engineer Challenger/Massey Ferguson/Valtra brands
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
You'll be pleased with the machine. I'd echo SWMan's comments. We had over 4000hr's on our 865B before we touched a wrench to it other than oil changes.
Do you have a local dealer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page