The Combine Forum banner

Custom Harvesting

5K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  MFinlay 
#1 ·
I'm considering doing some custom harvesting for the 2017 season. Nothing large scale, only in the area around the home farm. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips for someone starting out. I've got a 99 Lexion 480 in pretty good shape with a pickup front, also looking for a good straight cut front. Not looking to get rich off this, just to make enough to help cover some of the expenses on the main farm.
Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
Not sure where you are there are a few threads on custom harvesting . As far as price there is a lot of difference of opinions and a lot of variables , machine , machine +man , machine+ man + fuel , truck , in the bin ? I have a 2005 570r and work with owners machines and trucks . Like you mentioned I'm not trying to get rich just make a few extra bucks . I have been charging $ 200/hour machine + man owner fuel and this is low according to most .

#4 ·
I do a similar thing around my area. I have been doing it for over 10 years now, so I guess I would say I like doing it or I am crazy, some days I think one, other days I think the other. I charge by the acre and I have gotten to the point of insisting that I also handle the grain because I have been burned when I have relied on others to do it. Being in control of the whole process gives me the ability to continue to charge by the acre as any hold ups are on me. I have found it is a good way to make some money, but there is a reason more people don't do it, there are some headaches involved with it, and I would say it depends on the person as to if they want to deal with them or not. If you have specific questions I would be more than happy to talk about what I have experienced.

#12 ·
When I started doing custom silage around 18 years ago I hit a rock and twisted a pick up head to Bitstream pay out but said they did not have to as it was not on our farm
Then put the price up the the cost of the head the next year with a deductible the cost of the new head
So we switched company's and went with insurance
Costs way more but we are Coverd for just about anything

It is just another thing you need to factor in in your cost of doing one reason why some times the guy down the road will do things cheaper
It's all good till something f up

#13 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, I hadn't even thought about additional things such as insurance but its a good point.
I'm located in South Western Manitoba, and would be trying to work in the area between Griswold and Virden. From what I have seen from other guys in Eastern Manitoba with similar equipment I was looking to charge around the $150/hr + fuel mark.

#19 ·
Make sure yiu are oreoared finacially..you have to outlay money on parts and service etc..fuel...and living to harvest peoples crops then wait to get paid.

I am contract harvesting in Australia now...and have budgeted 3k for 15-20k income on outgoings just in case and i can survive until paid which will be end of feb as its corporate farm....i am 200km nth...and then have to shift back home to harvest and will budget more on outgoings until paid for that job.

Good luck!!

Ant...

#21 ·
Z

I understand, have done many jobs that were cheque over the gate...im just saying that it needs thought for budgeting etc...i am doing some work which is 7 days and others which is 30 days end of month...

Mining is crap!...rio are on 90 days...my mob shorter than that...alot of people dont qoute as they cant work the cash flow...

Ant...

#23 ·
I'm not sure how it works in Australia but I know for the silage contractors we use we provide fuel for them and I think that would be standard for combining as well. The not getting paid thing is one of my major concerns but I should have enough to float me through for a few months.

After getting all your input and thinking about it I think I will take the plunge and offer services around my home farm this year, so if anyone is in the area from Griswold to Virden Manitoba and are looking for some help with harvest just let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.