What changes/improvements would like to see on your Claas? - Page 5 - The Combine Forum

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
we put one of those michels crop catchers on ours and it made a world of difference while picking up swaths. From a foot or more on there after a 1/4 to virtually nothing also seemed to keep dust off the window better
I built a screened catcher for about $30 of material for the pickup header, it helped. With the Airflex straight header it was mostly leaves floating around and landing on the feeder house as well as the ever-present dust cloud. Rotaries don't have this issue and I'm not sure how to resolve this on a cylinder machine but that little dust fan in the feeder is basically good for nothing from what I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V876 View Post
This is a very minor complaint but how about a proper sized lighter plug not one as loose as a over used woman that works street corners.
There is a solution for this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160827_140948552.jpg (717.2 KB, 116 views)
V876 likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
I havent had issue with the 12 volt plug being loose. I think if you have something plugged in and tilt the armrest up, and then get off of the air seat, the arm rest can come up and possibly unplug or break whatever is plugged in.

This was my first year for an air bar. It created more trash on the feeder house than normal. I once fully raised the header at the headland to clear something in the field. As doing so I heard a loud snap. The trash cracked the lower cab shield.I was able to reposition the shield to make the crack nearly invisible. While talking to All State Ag Parts, I brought this up and they said they seldom get one in that isn't cracked, or it is sold quickly if it is good. So, FYI, don't fully raise feeder with a lot of material on it.

I would think the MAV chopper would/could be made to suck more air from the feederhouse, and then use that air to project the straw better.

glen_lloyd likes this.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post

There is a solution for this.
That should be included with every purchase. Looks like it could double as an interior light.

When life gives you lemons
Break out the Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V876 View Post
That should be included with every purchase. Looks like it could double as an interior light.
It should be, and it does.

Seedcleaner you likely are well aware that to do a header calibration you must lift the feeder all the way and hold for a few seconds...twice! I'll bet that does in a pile of those cab shields. Oh, and that reminds me, find a way to eliminate the rubbing of that front plastic panel on the window...

Orlando A. Battista
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Yes, the header cal sure needs two raised occurrences. This year, due to a very good initial cal, I never touched it again after going to the field. Blocking the bottom of the feeder off the ground when the height potentiometers were bottomed out did the trick. Very good response and very good lowering characteristics.
My shield doesn't rub or make noise.
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
After 1st year with Lexion(green before):

1. Got in cab last week as dealer doing post harvest check, smelled like mouse heaven. Got to do better than that, Lexion. Found open hole in back bottom of cab near wire entry. At the top of cab, grommet didn't seal wire where AC hoses and wires come thru. Chewed through cab air filters.

2. BTW, if they want to make inroads in cornbelt, Claas needs to have own dealerships

3. Header calibrations need to be updated. Why mash head down to ground. Also, when you calibrate the head with machine, how about if the machine remembers it next time head is hooked up.

4. 2 height sensors on 12 row corn head not enough, also don't work nearly as well as Deere's. Will prob have to spend money and put on headsight.

5. If Claas wants to sell combines in corn/soybean country where we switch back and forth sometimes everyday, streamline the switchover. Sometimes takes me 15 minutes to break the chopper knifves free. Deere, takes 10 seconds from 1 side of the combine.

6. Need button/switch to be able to move header tilt cylinder instead of trying to find it on CEBIS. Touch srceen might be nice.

7. Feeder house dust is terrible. Need to figure out a fan that doesn't plug with debris.

8. Had to stop and adjust the top cab lights so I could see more than 20 feet in front of the head.

For all the guys complaining about rock trap cleanout, evidently you have used a pry bar to unlodge debris in a Deere's. Lexion's much easier. Plus, the Lexion FH actually rasies up, much easier to get underneath.

But, with all those negatives, their tracks, capacity, grain sample are far superior.
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
There are no comments on this thread about straw choppers/chaff spreaders other than 1 wish that chaff did not go in with straw. I only have experience with a 2008 590 which was terrible the way it came. My 480 with a complete aftermarket MAV with carbide knives, chaff into chopper for a great spread, and mechanically adjustable split tailboard, is the best working chopper I have ever used. It chops and spreads so much better than the stock 590 Mav it is not even in the same league. The 590 chaff spinners are ok but do not match what the air blast of the Mav can do. The fixed height tailboard on the 590 Mav is a total joke and does not allow any width of spread adjustment, other than fin adjustment. Not something you want to do several times a day as wind, crop moisture and straw conditions change throughout the day. I installed a linear actuator on the 590 tailboard that is adjustable from the cab, on the go, and really liked the simple control of width of spread it provided. For example, when the straw gets tough in the evening, it shoots farther and lands in the standing crop, which on the next pass causes the knife to plug at the corner. Very annoying! Simply bumping the tailboard down a few degrees from the cab narrows the width of spread however much you choose and totally fixes the problem. Seems a lot simpler than some of the new complicated chopper designs that have had their problems. Although the Mav on the 480 spreads very even across the total width of spread, the 590 Mav leaves a heavy "windrow" on each side at the outer 5' of spread pattern, and nothing in the next 10' closer in on each side. I am working on linear actuator controlled deflectors on the outside edges of rotor discharge, to be able to move the main stream of straw just a few inches further into the center of the chopper rotor and be able to adjust that spread pattern on the go as straw conditions change. I have not perfected that project but think it has some potential in making a simple old chopper design work a lot better in a wide range of conditions. And don't forget to get a set of carbide chopper knives (Redekop!!) they are worth it for sure. I hope Mother Claas is listening. Sometimes less is more.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxial View Post
There are no comments on this thread about straw choppers/chaff spreaders other than 1 wish that chaff did not go in with straw.
What reason chaff not mixed with straw?
My chaff spreader on a Prochop only blew about 80% of the chaff into the radial speader, we built fixed arms to replace the hydraulic cylinders to blow chaff 60 degrees (or so) each side to prevent the miss of 20% forming a mini row in the middle.

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
My chaff spreader on a Prochop only blew about 80% of the chaff into the radial speader, we built fixed arms to replace the hydraulic cylinders to blow chaff 60 degrees (or so) each side to prevent the miss of 20% forming a mini row in the middle.
Do you have a picture of this? I assume we will have to modify the 2017 model in a similar way? My combine is built and sitting at the plant as far as I can gather.

Orlando A. Battista
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Do you have a picture of this? I assume we will have to modify the 2017 model in a similar way? My combine is built and sitting at the plant as far as I can gather.
Modifying would only entail swapping fixed arms across.
If all chaff was spread we wouldn't have changed it.
I'll get a pic.

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page