Used Lexion thoughts? - The Combine Forum

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Used Lexion thoughts?

Been tossing around the idea for a few months now of seriously looking at used Lexions.
Have been running JD walkers for the last ten years and it seems that every year we look at the losses and it's starting to drive me nuts (especially the malt barley acres). We are a pretty small operation by most standards (1400 acres cropland) and have been taking off the crop with a 9600 and a 9610 the last couple years. I know that's overkill but the 9600 wasn't worth selling when I bought the '10 and I had the bodies to run 'em. Also with a bunch of cows, I have other things to do in the fall besides harvest so I don't mind being a little over machined.

So, I guess I am looking for your thoughts on what I should be looking for in a Lexion. My budget would be in the $125 - 200,000 range. Crops are canola, malt/feed barley, oats, peas, and maybe wheat someday. Located North of North Battleford up against the forest so we can have some pretty awful harvest conditions (but never a getting stuck kind of harvest, too many rocks for that... )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:32 PM
DDF

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I'd suggest a 570R

V876 likes this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There is a nice 560 walker at tingleys in lloydminister great canola combine has tm6 sieves and it kept up to a 670 claas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Do you want to stick with a walker for baling straw
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul weber View Post
Do you want to stick with a walker for baling straw
I'm not too sure if that would be necessary. We usually only bale the straw in "tough" situations. But if the claas walkers could keep the barley from going over that's what we would prefer.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
We have about 1000 acres of cropland here, all wheat and barley. Two years ago we switched from a Gleaner N7 to Lexion. We got a 2010 580r with a 35 foot Macdon header for around $150,000 US. We couldn't be more happy so far.

I'm sure we could have got by with a 570r or even a 560r, but there were a lot more 580s on the market. I think we got a pretty good deal on the one we got.

Good luck one your search.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I would go with 580 then would be much better in barley and can still bale behind if it is tough and agree with mr T lots of 580s around.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfunk View Post
I'm not too sure if that would be necessary. We usually only bale the straw in "tough" situations. But if the claas walkers could keep the barley from going over that's what we would prefer.
We run 2 Claas walker machines 670's and they are ok in barley you have to drive slow. A 570R would easily do what you want we used to do 4000 acres with one.
garyfunk likes this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
My neighbour has a 570R, we have a 470R with a chip, montana kit, variable speed rotors, and all-winged chopper knives.

It easily walks from that 570R... We farm just under 3000 acres, our 470R did 2089 of that this year (We also have an MF 8570) in under 200 hours.

I'd say you could save quite a bit of money if you went for a 470r/480r. Not much for improvements in the 500s till the very last models. No problem baling straw behind them either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the responses thus far. I've been searching through a pile of threads on the forum and there sure is a lot of information from some pretty generous members.
Just a couple things that I want to make sure I have right.
460 470r 560 570r are narrow bodies?
480r 570 580r 590r are wide bodies?
Does that mean that the heads can't be interchanged between wide and narrow bodies?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page