Track machine???? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Track machine????

Just wondering from any of you folks that have any real experience running combines with tracks, does it offer any real advantage and how much? I live in NW MO and run about 2000 acres of corn/beans. About 70% is bottom ground the rest hills. Also, while at it, any disadvantages too? Gotta take the bad with the good.....
keeff3969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Track machine????

Advantages are clear i think, you can go where no wheels can, the ride is much better with Lexion tracks as they have suspension, and of course compaction is much less.

Disadvantage is perhaps road speed, and they cost more.

They do say that once you have a track you never go back!
alorum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'd guess fuel consumption might differ from a wheeled combine too. Just a thought.
greeniron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

the only bad thing i have heard about the lexion combines is the slow road speed and they don't seem to turn very good on the ends. but with the weight these big machines are carrying it does cut down on compaction and will go good in the mud. so i guess you have to take the good with the bad a farm i know are running 2 595r with 16 row heads and love the tracks.
8010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

I believe it has been stated that the Lexion's poor turning ability has to do with the steering wheels limited turning angle or cut and not to do with the tracks themselves. I think the 575/585R are limited to 16 MPH and 595R is 18 MPH on the road. You will also have more room around the sides of the machine on a tracked unit. The only downside I see to tracks are price and slightly higher maintenance most likely. There are a couple guys on here that have first hand knowledge though.
farmerjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

There were a lots of good thinsg told already...

biggest disadvatage should be the turning radius. I guess Don will confirm that. But he is also one of the guys with first hand information...

Offtopic:

in europe there isnt any John Deere, New Holland or Case model that is faster on the road than a Lexion oO
25km/h is normal... but if you tweak the Lexion (400 series) you can go faster and its even the fastest combine around here...
arcus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

I appreciate all your info....thanks folks
keeff3969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

HI

Know of a few tracked machines. From personal experience you cannot go as far with a tracked machine as what you can with a tyred 4wd machine. Know of a few people who have gone to tracks from a 4wd, only to have the next year a 4wd tracked machine.

You can definitely go further in wetter conditions with a tracked machine but a tyred machine will dig down while a tracked machine will sit on top, and not necessarily dig down to find traction
combineguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a 580r and 585r. The 585 carreis our 40ft flex head much better than the 580. It is easier to service and will go anywhere we dont dare go with the 580. The big downfalls are cost and road speed. That said we will never buy a combine again without tracks. I drive both of our combines and can't say that turning radius has ever been an issue. Nither combine turns sharp so we just make our headlands bigger and its no problem.
mb580r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Last fall when it was make or break time we bit the bullet and put tracks on our 9770. We had a ton of custom acres lined up and still had to get our own crop out. I'm not gonna say it could walk on water but it was pretty close. When the snow came and we were still harvesting milo it seemed like tracks had more slip but this was on aftermarket Soucy tracks. I tried to line up a lexion to rent/buy for the season that already had tracks but don't you know it everyone else wanted the same thing as I did at the time. 9/10 years I don't need or can't budget tracks but they are great when you need them.
customfarmer82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.