Just bought first Lexion, 475R - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just bought first Lexion, 475R

I'll probably become a regular on here as we just bought our first Lexion combine, an 03 475R with 900 sep hours. Have been completely Deere combines since about 84 and currently are running a 9760 and a 9610. Bought the 475R for it capabilities in mud, as it seems like about 1 in 5 years we have very wet harvest conditions, and it was what I felt was priced right. The 9610 has 2200 sep hours and although it is still a great machine and very dependable the Lexion ought to relieve the load on it so we don't have to depend on it so heavily.

Any tips or tricks to getting the best out of the 475R will be appreciated. I have been reading the old posts and the posts on the other combine talk forum for a few weeks now trying to pick a few things up. Will be going over it with a fine tooth comb with the mechanic that did the winter check list on it Friday so any suggestions on specific things to look for or updates I need to be aware of would be helpful.

John
johnburns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Just bought first Lexion, 475R

Congratulations.......

Its a different animal than what your use to, give er patience, understanding, and I think youll be happy!
b575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Now you just need a good header for it. I believe Dale sells those black heads also.
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Problem is Dale would want half as much for the head as I paid for the machine. I'll have to come ride some day and see what you are talking about. Are the Lexion flex heads junk or something? We bought an F30 with the combine. It looks to be in fair shape, needs a little TLC. Darrin & I are going over tomorrow to figure out what we want the shop to fix on the combine and what we will tackle ourselves.

John
Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

We will be cutting milo by Hepler tomorrow if you want a ride. It won't show you how it will shave the ground but it will show you the feeding.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:Are the Lexion flex heads junk or something? We bought an F30 with the combine.
John

I wouldn't say the f30 is junk, weve put about 12,000 acres through ours.

I Like it better than the 1020 on our 2388, but Im really interested in those black heads also.........From what I see across the road from us, they make a combine jump up a class no matter what color it is.

Be sure to inspect the pans. Weve had em crack where they meet.

Worst thing about anything lexion is adjusting the pitch on the f30 cutter bar. Three guys with the head locked up over a ditch will get it done in a half an hour.
b575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

What are you referring to as the "pans"? Are these the skids that the head rides on?

We did a little work on the head while still in the dealers lot and noticed what you were talking about adjusting the pitch. It looks like it involves dropping all the skids and adding/removing washers under bolts. By the looks of this head it has been running too much on its heel as the rear of the plastic is worn off but not the front. I think we will take one washer out from under the rear to level them out. It seems rather odd that only one bolt holds the front. Many of these are running with the front bolt loose and with only one bolt it looks like even with the bolt tight the skid would have a tendency to work the single bolt loose. Seems as though each one should have two bolts and tabs up front.

I didn't figure the head must be too bad as I don't see a lot of other brand heads on Lexions. We will be modifying a 1290 (12 row 30") Deere corn head to fit on the 475R this winter. Lexion does not make a 20" corn head and by my measurements with the wider sprockets they use there is just not enough room to squeeze the rows down that far without the chains hitting each other in the next row. I see they do make a 22".

John
Old 10-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was able to find our 18-20 head cheaper than we could build one. Maybe they are more popular now than 3 years ago.

Isn't one of you 12-20 already Cat ready? All you need is the wedge adapter. If they are Johnsons old heads than the first owners of those heads are the prevous owners of my Cat.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default cornhead

REALLY!!!!!! THAT's what those holes with the pin in the middle were for on that head! I thought maybe that was maybe a mounting bracket for a corn reel of some such thing. We welded a plate over the top of the hole cause it looked like it might have made the backbone weaker - will have to cut them back off I guess . Isn't long driveshafts and shaft carrier bearings located further out on the head required? I figured the Lexion would run the JD shafts at too high of angle as the Lexion power shaft is mounted higher on the feederhouse.

I'm going to have to come up and pester you guys for a half day on some rainy day sometime. Need to visit about planters, combines, a lot of things.

John
Old 10-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

You need to come look at our heads, we can run 18-20 or 12-20 on the Cat or pull the wedge out and use a JD. I am sure my combine has picked several acres with your header.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.