Air Reel?? or Air Bar?? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Air Reel?? or Air Bar??

Hey i am thinking of putting an air reel on our new John deere 635Flex head. We combine peas and lentils with it. What do you guys prefer? I want to go with the Crary air reel and replace the factory reel with it. It just seems that the whole reel replacement looks nicer and wouldnt get in the way as much. My dealer is pushing the AWS wind bar system that sits out in front of the reel. Does this works as good? Does it get in the way or bent easier sitting out in front? What are your experiences? Any info would be helpful. We farm flat ground to some hilly ground so it needs to work in both situations.
dieseldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've always found the air bars a bit ironic, they have to be close to the cutterbar, but to they interfere with crop flow at all? I don't know much about them, but figured they'd have to move a PILE of air to work well.

I've heard with air stuff you get what you pay for, but it depends on how much of a performance increase you need/want.

Bruce
Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

i have a 635's with the aws air bars, they work really well in lentils and peas....we went from macdon draper flex to these...(The macdons were far superior in the cereals with the draper obviously)...You know when your combining lentils(i grow green)and u can always see some lentils on the ground behind your header, well u dont get that with the air. There is nothing on the ground. The air bar however is a bit of a visual impairment, thats the only thing i can think of that i dont like, i drive them off the combine not the header drive on the header itself. I dont know much about the crary, i never really looked at them but if u could get rid of the aluminium pipe out front, that would b ideal.
ryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have an AWS on a 630 flex, works great on lentils, never done peas with it. With the air, other crops seem to flow better also. I also went from a 930F without air, to a full fingered 630 with air, so not really just comparing the addition of the air. I only quickly looked at the crary, looked like alot of moving places with air seals, I wanted to stay away from that. I have no experience with the air reel, nor have I talked to anyone with one.
SKfarming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default air reel or air bar

We use both and have had good luck with either one. Crary also makes an air bar CWS like the AWS. The air reel would be better in all crops if that is what you are looking to do as it is in the reel and would not push crop over or be in the way. Other than that we have found they push the crop in the header about the same. The air reel will require more maintenance in the long run as the gears and sprockets on the reel do require some attention after a while.
masseythrasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
agb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldog View Post
Hey i am thinking of putting an air reel on our new John deere 635Flex head. We combine peas and lentils with it. What do you guys prefer? I want to go with the Crary air reel and replace the factory reel with it. It just seems that the whole reel replacement looks nicer and wouldnt get in the way as much. My dealer is pushing the AWS wind bar system that sits out in front of the reel. Does this works as good? Does it get in the way or bent easier sitting out in front? What are your experiences? Any info would be helpful. We farm flat ground to some hilly ground so it needs to work in both situations.
I've used our 635 for one season with a crary "bar" and found it to work very well especially with direct cut black beans. Thought it really worked well with soy beans also. Really wasn't in the way for wheat but didn't do much good either. I'm happy with the thing myself if that helps any. Pretty pricey though.
agb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok lots of good info. I am leaning towards the air reel. It just seems to have the air tubes inside the reel would give better visibility and less chance to bend an air tube.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default AWS vs Crary

The AWS system with the out front manifold and combine mounted drive system is the superior air reel on the market. Crary offers the two types, the "out front manifold" and the "In Reel" system. The In Reel system has a lot of moving gears, bushings and other moving wear parts and this system CAN NOT get the air delivered down at and in front of the cutter bar......because of this, the AWS will put more beans in the bin and it has a much better drive system with the combine mount drives. But,if your prefer the Crary gear box drive that is mounted on the head, then do your self a favour and buy the Crary Air Reel with the out front manifold. PS, Crary dealers must have a better profit margin on the "In Reel" system because that is what they will always try to sell you.
lexionman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexionman View Post
PS, Crary dealers must have a better profit margin on the "In Reel" system because that is what they will always try to sell you.
Lol, maybe they are thinking of all the repair parts that will be required after, that will also help with their profits

I have the combine mounted fan on my aws, but they also sell a header mounted fan.
SKfarming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default how long

How many years or acres do you think the air reel would last before its gonna need bushings and stuff that you are talking about? We put about 2000 acres a year on our flex head and trade about every 3 or 4 years. I am glad i asked these questions as i thought for sure the air reel was superior to the air bar. The air bar just seems like it is too far out front. My father in law has always had the air reel and has been more than happy with it for doing soybeans about 1500 acres a year. I was just going off of what he said as far as going bar or reel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.