Drago chopping corn head ?? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Drago chopping corn head ??

Last year I ran a 8 row 30 inch Drago with their choppers on it. Liked the head, fed nice , nice angle to it...picked up down corn great. You have to go a little slow for the choppers to work but that's ok.
The thing I didn't like was the down time I had with it. Bearing problems. The bottom line in my book is that the outside end drives have too small of bearings and too small chain size for a chopping head.
Now this is what gets me...I look at a 12 row 20 inch head and the thing has a gearbox on it, no bearings or chain. What gives? Why don't they put this setup on all their cornheads? At least make it an option. So I look at a 12 row 30 inch head and the dealer tells me they put the same crappy drive setup on it as what's on mine, is this true?
midwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Drago corn head ??

guess we've been lucky but the only thing we've replaced on ours is three snouts. (operator error)
dragoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

You run a chopping head?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

no. sorry. didnt read the post well enough
dragoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think the design would hold up fairly well on a non-chopping head.
I hope you never have to work on the outside bearings. Really strange design from what I remember. The book isn't much help either.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Midwest,
I am on my second Drago 8 row 30. This will be my 7th harvest using a Drago chopping head. we ran one of the original metal ones in 04 to 06 and twisted off multiple drive shafts between gear boxes and had trouble with sprockets in the oil baths failing due to poor chain tensioner. Went to plastic head in 07 and have had 3 chopper gear box failures and last fall the outer bearings you mentioned. When they work they are great but they break down way too often. This will be my last fall with a drago, unfortunately there aren't many other decent options in the area. May trade to a Deere combine this winter but my dealer says they still don't have theirs working that good either yet.
jloula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. According to Drago last year was a tough year for the chopping heads and usually you won't have issues with them. I disagree with them on that. This BT corn that's sprayed with fungicides isn't going away.

Did you see the advertisement Drago had out a while back bragging up how heavy their row unit drive is?
Were you there or did you fix the outside end bearing issues? Little wussy bearings and the strangest design I have ever seen. I honestly think Drago glues some of it together. What do you think of it?
Old 08-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Neighbor has had a Cat with their chopping heads for a while. Cat has beefed up their drives a lot since they started building them and have become fairly reliable now.

Our Drago was under warranty. The dealer had to steal parts off another head to get mine going. The guy working on it had never seen anything built like it. Things that you'd think would come apart didn't.
We had major problems with those double chain drive connectors that are under the head and go from row to row. I found that if you sprayed some chain lube on them they lasted longer.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah I agree it may have been a tough year but they have major reliability issues no matter what the situation.
My hired man was running the machine when the bearings went last fall. 8 at night 20 miles from home so we got the parts and took the generator and lights up there to fix it in the field. I think it took us until midnight to get it back together. Every time I've had to work on a Drago it seems next to impossible, very little room to work and parts always seem to be odd design. Local dealer has been selling Fantini heads for a couple seasons now and seem to have good luck so far. I'm actually contemplating trading for a Lexion after this fall and trying their chopping head with it but that's a ways off yet.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah we always keep some of those chains in the cab seems like when 1 goes you go through about 3 in a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.