The Combine Forum banner

Largest Wheatfarms

6K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  venturis40 
#1 ·
Howmany acres have the largest Wheatfarm
you have ever heard from.

#3 ·
Quote:A farmer in South Dakota had over 20,000 acres. Not sure on the name but they hired Tom Snell of Ellinwood to cut their crops, took 15 combines about a week to completely finish the harvest.

That would be 190 acres per day per combine. 1 week might be a little short on time, considering the dew they can get in SD.

I know of another farm in that area of SD, where the largest field the guy has is about 2600 acres. They went to the county to take some roads out to farm right through them.

I also heard of another guy in the area of Tribune, KS that has about 8000 acres in just 3 fields.

-Lance

#4 ·
Funny thing I was just reading about this a few days ago in a back issue of farmshow. In Australia, maybe 10 or 15 years ago, there was a 40,000 acre field of wheat that yielded 2M bushels. It was owned, planted, and harvested by the largest flour mill in Australia. However they did not plan on doing that again due to the obvious financial risks associated with planting that much of the same crop in the same area.
I would guess that other large fields would be in the former soviet union when collective farms were the norm or more currently in brazil.

#5 ·
Lance now did I say it took them A week, no I said ABOUT a week so that means a little longer and it may not have been quite 20,000 acres
but one thing I forgot to mention was that the farmer had 3 combines of his own, I believe they were 9650 walkers but I could be wrong. They might have had the experimental rotor up there too so that would have made 19 combines instead of the 15 I thought originally but I could be wrong on if they got the experimental or not. That still is quite a lot of wheat in such a short time.

#6 ·
Quote:Funny thing I was just reading about this a few days ago in a back issue of farmshow. In Australia, maybe 10 or 15 years ago, there was a 40,000 acre field of wheat that yielded 2M bushels. It was owned, planted, and harvested by the largest flour mill in Australia. However they did not plan on doing that again due to the obvious financial risks associated with planting that much of the same crop in the same area.
I would guess that other large fields would be in the former soviet union when collective farms were the norm or more currently in brazil.

How much is that in bushels per acre?

#7 ·
Hi, here in Scotland a lot of Arable farmers(or crop farmers) own more than 1 farm. I'm not too sure about the amount of acres.

I have a friend in Brechin, just outside Aberdeen in Scotland and he works on a mixed farm. They have over 2,000 acres of crops but they own a lot of farms.

2,000 acres is nothing to the custom harvesters I suppose

- Gordon

#8 ·
Quote:
Quote:Funny thing I was just reading about this a few days ago in a back issue of farmshow. In Australia, maybe 10 or 15 years ago, there was a 40,000 acre field of wheat that yielded 2M bushels. It was owned, planted, and harvested by the largest flour mill in Australia. However they did not plan on doing that again due to the obvious financial risks associated with planting that much of the same crop in the same area.

How much is that in bushels per acre?

I really hope you are joking... Seriously.
2,000,000 bushels/40,000 acres = 50bushels/acre.

In the paper last week there was an article about a guy from Alberta Canada who cropped 39,000 acres this year, as of last week he had 15,000 to go. Can't recall the details exactly, but I think he has 15 combines of his own (8010s based on the picture), the dealer was sending out another 8, and a custom harvester was coming with another 4 just to get the crop off before it is completely worthless.

#9 ·
I thought it was 50bpa but I must have done the math wrong, thanks for making me like a 3 year old... 39,000 acres is quite a few acres but they should be able to do it with 15 combines I would think, but I guess the extra 12 won't hurt matters any.

#12 ·
Diamond Ring Farms in SD had 28,000 acres of wheat this year. That has to be the most wheat of any farmer in the US as far as I know. There is also a 100,000 acre farm SE of Denver, CO, but I don't know how much was in wheat though. Thats all I know. I'm sure there are more wheat kings out there.

#13 ·
Quote:Diamond Ring Farms in SD had 28,000 acres of wheat this year. That has to be the most wheat of any farmer in the US as far as I know. There is also a 100,000 acre farm SE of Denver, CO, but I don't know how much was in wheat though. Thats all I know. I'm sure there are more wheat kings out there.

The farm you're talking about is out of Byers Colorado. The farmer's name starts with an L but I cannot for the life of me think of what it is. He leased 23 2388's a while back ago to do his summer wheat harvest. So that should tell you the kind of acres this guy has. He plowed up all his pasture ground just to plant it to wheat.

Alex

#15 ·
Quote:
Quote:Diamond Ring Farms in SD had 28,000 acres of wheat this year. That has to be the most wheat of any farmer in the US as far as I know. There is also a 100,000 acre farm SE of Denver, CO, but I don't know how much was in wheat though. Thats all I know. I'm sure there are more wheat kings out there.

The farm you're talking about is out of Byers Colorado. The farmer's name starts with an L but I cannot for the life of me think of what it is. He leased 23 2388's a while back ago to do his summer wheat harvest. So that should tell you the kind of acres this guy has. He plowed up all his pasture ground just to plant it to wheat.

Alex

The guys name is linnebur (sp?). They start lining combines up is the spring on the south side of US 36 between byers and last chance. makes an impressive lineup, lots of money. makes a guy wonder where he comes up with help.

That guy has a brother that farms north of limon colorado that i have talked to about combining. He has 12-22000 acres of wheat a year. organic stuff, i would guess makes 15-25, it is in really rough country, ditches and terraces and stuff, not prime land to say the least. He will gaurantee 1000 acres a combine but it was too cheap for me, $13 cut and haul to on farm storage. It is really neat to go down there during harvest, a rat race to say the least...i know some of his neighbors...they are entertained to say the least. Got a whole fleet of old stigers, if you ever have the chance to see either operation it is well worth a few extra miles.

Merry Christmas
brad

#16 ·
I've found this hread rather entertaining, but I really have to question just how exacting and efficient such mega farming really is. Now, I'm not just saying this to put them down. Maybe some of these guys really know what they're doing, but more than twice, I've hunted on some of Mr. Bigstuff's land, and have found the forgotten fields. Seriously, the rotten, matted-down crop was not just intentionally planted for the birds. I was told it would be a "plowed" or a "drilled" field, only to find the remains of sorghum or wheat--that had never been combined! Oh, how this really goes over, when I mention such to the boss or foreman, thinking I may have misread his directions and truly wonder why I'm in the "wrong" field!

#17 ·
I have cut at the Linnebur farm north of Limon CO, and it is very huge. He hired at least 10 harvesting crews to come in and cut his wheat, just so happens my bosses where his #1 crew so guess what he had to cut all the rough stuff, rocks hills, very short wheat stuff like that. There was this one field that we started on it on a Sunday and finished the next Saturday and that was with 7 combines. We all stayed on his farm about 25 miles north of Limon. He had like 10 9400 tractors to plow, it was really cool to be able to see all them sitting there.

#24 ·
Linnebur's wheat farm in Eastern Colorado is approximately 80,000 acres. I 've spoken to them once and saw their 20 odd Case/IH combines neatly lined up at their homestead as well as about a dozen big Steiger Tiger tractors. Most of their combines were fitted with 30' air 'reels'. It was one very impressive sight. That was around the end of June that I saw them. They said that they usually start to cut their wheat around the 4th of July each year.
There are more large wheat farms that I know of in Colorado.
Kalcevics on highway 79 just a tad north of Bennett farm about 60,000 acres of wheat.
Lewtons who used to be the Steiger dealers in Colorado farm 13,000 acres next to Kalcevics. Yes we are talking big wheat farms here. There must also be big ones in Western Kansas.
Let's hear about some more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.