chopper comparison - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default chopper comparison

thought i would post this kinda neat.one of our dealers had a forage demo between a new claas 960 with 8 row orbis 600,deere 7750 with large drum kemper,nh 9060 with 6 row kemper,and krone big x650 with 8 row head.
machines were all set to 20mm L.O.C with the k.ps set to 3mm.
corn was around 20 ton,each machine had a specilist from the machines company run the unit.all machines chopped into a truck for 60 seconds and then production was logged by cornell university.results as follows:
claas 960 416 tons an hour
deere 7750 336 tons an hour
nh 9060 330 tons an hour(could probly get more with an 8 row)
krone bigx 650 319 tons an hour
rancherman84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: chopper comparison

i wont disagree with you on the 980.we have 2 out,one has been nearly perfect the other has been a real POS.then we have a new 960 that has been just as good as the 3000 hr 880 they traded.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

its the same width yes,but it opens further to make a thicker mat.
last i checked a 980 was only 180 horse more than a 900.650 +180 =830
Old 09-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rancherman,

Did they run any tonnage tests on the Claas 900 with the 8 row easy collect and the Scherer HD Processor?
fireboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

dragoguy,the 860 horse rating is just the engines with no acc or drives,the real out put is 830 hp.
deeres rates there choppers this way so claas now does also
cwi,i guess i worded that wrong,cornell did measuring right?
by the way we just lost one of our 980s,im sure you'll hear about it,or pm with more info if want.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is interesting I talked to a guy last week or the week before about this and he was hyped up about it. He was sure impressed with the 900 set up. What blows me away is that the krone performed so poorly, did they forget where forward was on the joystick. How many knife cutterheads were used in these machines? Pretty cool none the less. I would love to do this here in Ca. with an accredited school with shaker boxes and such. Especially when it is above the 100 degree mark, and run these units all day long. The problem would be keeping enough trucks to feed all those machines.
joblo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
cwi

Fireboy,

I did not run the test on the 900 because it wasn't a fair comparison to the other machines, it obviously blew them away because of the way it was equipped, not to mention it was putting out around 724 horse. It easily hit 6 MPH in 20+ ton corn. The Scherer with the Krone head alone gave it another MPH over stock. I threw this machine in there to show these people what was capable of a smaller and older 492 machine.

Oh and by the way, Cornell University had nothing to do with the machine demonstration, and none of the dealerships that provided machines coordinated this event.
cwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
cwi

joblo, the operator of the Krone machine was an engineer that came over from Germany. I sat in the machine with him during the test....he was hardly a seasoned operator. Some of my customers that demoed the Krone pushed it alot harder than he did, the 650 performed well. What was interesting is that all four current production machines produced exactly equal quality product according to Cornell University's standards. ( Penn State shaker box )
Trucks were definitely a problem, five machines chopped 37 acres in 20 min., We chopped 22 acres prior to that with customers.
Coordinating this event took months, but was well worth it. Many key factors were taken into consideration in making this as fair as possible. Operator experience was the biggest variable.
All four manufacturers were very cooperative in working with me towards this event, it has never been done before like this on the east coast. All invited guests had the opportunity to try out these machines, so we could let them form their own opinions, rather than pushing ours.
All in all it was a good thing. Their is a CD out on the event, if you are interested let me know.
cwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

To add a key note to this discussion, at the end of the day many customers wanted to see the Deere vs claas, with actual owner/oper's in the seat and without any questions on data, it was witnessed by 300+ people that from point a to point b that Deere and claas would finish neck and neck. With those results and and doing the math on cost per ton I'll stand by my Deere
bigbrook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Good work cwi.
Send me a pm. I would like to talk further.
3krone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.