sickle bar vs. rotary disk swathers - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Blogger

Default sickle bar vs. rotary disk swathers

I like the rotary disc swathers more, but what do you guys like?
silagehauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: sickle bar vs. rotary disk swathers

i like either one but ive ran a sickle alot more.. besides, some of the fields we get into its hard to ride at 6.5 mph let alone 10
jd4755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Disc are the only way to go in my opinion. Change a sickle blade and then change a disc blade, your mind will be made up. Faster cutting, maintenance is nearly the same, fuel usage is more on the disc but the quantity of cutting will equal it out.
harsh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Disc all the way. Much simpler and alot faster and they never plug up.
deereman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

If I had to go back to a sickle machine it would be the end of my being in the hay business.
anteater6788 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Europe has gone to discs 30 years ago. I have always wondered why the sickle mower was preferred in the US so long.
ralf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hi! Im new here.

I would definitly prefer the rotary discs for swathing over the sicklebar any day!

I could imagine that sicklebar mowers is/were the prefered choise in america because there was a sickle bar on the header platform for the combine aswell. Simelar equipment is easier and simpler to maintain and getting parts for. Also i have seen pictures of header conversions where the header was mounted on the back of a regular tractor and used for mowing. I could imagine that the conditions it has to work under always would be very dry. If not, well then the farmer could easier wait a few days before swathing, than a farmer in northern europe could.

However, in Denmark where i come from, there is no doubt in my mind that rotary discs is only way to go. I work at a contractor and usually we have a very narrow time window to mow a considerable amount of grass for silage purposes 4-5 times a year. The last few years has been a hassle because of unstable weather which is why we invested in this rig:

It's a Kuhn FC883 Butterfly rig at the back and a Kuhn FC313 front mower at the front with the MF8480 in the middle. Depending on the ground conditions and field sizes, i run this baby over the ground at 20-25 km/hour or about 15 mph. It has a working width of 8,83 meters which is guess is something close to 30 feet.

The Massey's GTA3 console displayed its peak performance to be 24,3 hectars per hour consuming 60 / liters of diesel an hour, which i have a very hard time beliving could ever be achived by a sickle bar mower.
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.