The Combine Forum banner

Claas 980 engines?

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bigtruck 
#1 ·
Wondering on average how many hours guys are getting on the claas 980 engines. Looking at one currently but it has around 3100 hours on it and that part makes me nervous.

Any info on machines is appreciated

Tyler

#5 ·
those engine should last quite a while they are the same as used in the 940/850. I think they used to be used in the 870 before they emissions standards changed. I think that they are more reliable than the V-8 Mercedes.

Biggest problems I can think of is turbos and water pumps, with water pumps needing changed every 750 hrs or so

#7 ·
the merc inlines are good engines. as stated above the waterpumps do bother at times. the biggest problem ive seen as far as the 2nd engine not starting(the first one also) is the fuel bleeds back,the cam and crank sensors get dirty,and they are only 12 volt start.
have the valves adjusted,the merc engines seem very sensitive to valve clearance causing low power.on the four twin engine units I service the twin engine mechanics(BELT connection etc) have been very reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.