The Combine Forum banner

4wd or front wheel assist for blade tractor?

9K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  durallymax 
#1 ·
Looking for feedback on best blade tractor.

#2 ·
What's your budget?

Low cost,,, 8970 ford new Holland, great blade tractor, with super steer..

High end,, 9020 series Deere,

Basically what you can get, if it has an CVT, better.. The new Holland funk transmission was really good for pile work..

Claas xerion would be awesome!

#21 ·
Yes and No. Yes you can use it, but you need frame ties.

What will this tractor all be doing? If its just a tractor to push silage, buy a 4x4. In fact, unless there is something you really need it to do that only an MFWD can do, buy a 4x4. Cheaper, better, heavier, better, cheaper, better. Being able to TURN while you push is invaluable as well as being able to walk away from walls. Not to mention heavier? Cheaper? yes.

#10 ·
We run a Fendt 926 and 7280R with a 12 ft blade on the front three point hitch. Both have cvt/ivt transmissions. If you us a front three point hitch make sure the hitch is designed for a blade. To tell it will have bars running from the pivot point on the lower arms back towards the rear axle. Should not have any issues using a front hitch.

#13 ·
We went from an 8400 with a 12' degelman to a 9460R with a 16' grouser. The difference is night and day. The 9R can push a lot more with the bigger blade, but the weight difference makes an even bigger difference. With the 8400 we had to make sure things were somewhat level, the 9460R just mashes it all down in comparison.

The vertical lift of the grouser is much nicer than the degelman, don't carry as much material on the blade when it is all the way up. Using a 3pt blade would be ok for that.

I would would look for a 4WD that fits in your budget and stick a grouser blade on it.

Only downside of a 4wd is that they are good for tillage and packing, a bit awkward for odd jobs there a large MFWD would still work.

#19 ·
I am not sure why not, but do not have measurements on me. Guess if you are interested frame is mounted on 2011 435 STE quad. If my forecast of next winter weather is right(has to be as good as any other forecast) am sure there will be interest in it than, but would be much smarter for somebody interested to arrange for frame changeover well ahead of this. I will not be taking frame off until somebody comes up with a check as last winter was so bad I almost was tempted to put blade on unit a couple different times.

#20 ·
I would say it depends on what your other uses for the tractor would be. If you want to go pull a 12 row planter or sidedress with it during the off season, then a 4wd wouldn't be the greatest option. But for pure power and weight for packing, there are some great deals on 4wds with the lower grain prices right now. We run 9XXX Deeres on the pile with Degelman blades, fluid in the tires, full wheel weights, concrete blocks on the saddle and even remove the rear duals to get 14+ psi on the pile. Makes for amazing silage with next to no spoilage without inoculants or extra plastic. They sure look weird though :eek: (don't mind the snow, only decent picture I could find)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.