The Combine Forum banner

How often do you sharper knives?

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ledong123 
#1 ·
Last year we went from Deere to Claas and the dealers have completely opposite ideas about how often to sharpen knives. Deere and the dealer says sharper one or twice a day and set the stationary knive 3 times in between sharpernings and the Claas dealer says to sharpen knives every 2 hours to keep the knives sharp. Deere says you don't want to sharpen too often to use the self-sharpening effect from the coating.

Who is right?

#2 ·
What are you chopping? In hay If you run 10 passes every couple hours you don't have to take as much off. What's the difference if you take 10 off 5 times or 50 off once . Usually we will run a few passes while the chopper waits for a.truck. set bar whenever we sharpen. In corn we start the day sharp than run a few passes every 20 loads or so. This is on a 900 did the same on our 860

#3 ·
As a guide for CLAAS machines I tell my customers 5 cycles every 4 hours. I have some guys who do it every second tuesday and others do 100 to start the day and have gone through a set of knives in 3 days. It depends on what you are chopping and the output quality as well. If you do a couple between trucks every few hours that will keep the edge sharp.

#4 ·
Around here John Deeres have to sharpen every 2 hours in grass or will need new set of knives the next day and in corn can go about every 4 hours. When we switched to Krone I only had to sharpen once a day in the morning and adjust shearbar twice a day in grass or corn. I usually get about 400 cutterhead hours out of knives in grass here. The main thing with the Krone is keeping the shearbar adjusted. Have had sharpening problems with our older Krone with sensors that I couldnt sharpen knives for a couple days and only could adjust shearbar and the knives were still sharp. Our biggest problem is the sand that wears everything out so fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.