Case IH filters - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Case IH filters

We run all Case IH tractors and this spring saved a bundle on filters by shifting to Carquest filters which seem to be exact replacements for dealer filters. Does anyone else run different filters other than case? I'm told they mostly all roll off the same production line. Case tell me their filters are special hence 2.5 times the price. Thought I'd ask the real experts(equipment owners) what your thoughts are on this. I don't want to ruin a new tractor over a couple thousand dollars. Thanks.
islandfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Case IH filters

just need to compare the micron rating. Some filters are made of different matterials even though they come from the same manufacture. I would do some research and find out what the autoparts house is made of and compare before you just do it. Also not all oils are the same. Some have diffferent additives than others and different cleaning agents. Even if there the same viscosities. I would guess your gonna be ok but I would just do some research.

Example: John Deere hydraulic oil uses a special cleaning agent in the oil and it breaks down glues on disk/clutch plates in other brand of tractors. If you don't use john deere hydraulic filters it could break down the glues holding the filter fibers in place.
5stateag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

With modern fuel systems you need to make sure that rattings are what OEMs spec.
Engines and trans are the same, they are getting more complex and have higher cleaning and mantinace needs.

Madsnake
madsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Actually on our MX275 the factory oil filter was Fleetguard!
When doing the first oil change I noticed they just painted it black.
Fleetguard is a good filter, and less expensive.
That's the route we've taken.
alexfarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Fuel and Oil filters on MX 275 were all fleetgard on our first service -
farmboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

All cnh filters have been fleetguard for a long time. Not sure if they have a selling point. Such as. Well there created to a higher specs. But dealer will ask if u want the same thing just white and a bit cheaper
casefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just because they say some certain brand on them doesn't mean they would be the same as the factory spec filter. Filters are made in lots of different levels of quality for different companies. So a Napa store selling FleetGuard filters may not be selling the same quality of FleetGuard filters going on the Case production line (for example). On our farm a few extra dollars to buy a John Deere filter is not big deal, because we know exactly what we are getting...what JD recommends. Warranty work with aftermarket parts can be a little iffy, too.
farmerjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

carquest filters are made by the wix company and are very good filters also. we checked with our caseih dealer and they told us the company has to stand behind our equipment even if we don't use case ih filters. our dealer stocks all fleetguard filters so caseih cant tell you what you have to use. we have run carquest line for years and have nad good luck with them.
8010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

fleetguard is mfg for alot of oem's scott.
scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

I usually use whatever I have on the shelf or whatever is closest between fleetguard (from case ih dealer) or napa filters. the napa store is about 20 minutes closer than my nearest case ih dealer so usually when I'm in the field and need a fuel filter or something along those lines it ends up being a napa filter. I've never noticed any difference although there might be....but when I had trouble with crap in the fuel tank of my new mx 180 plugging up fuel filters every couple rounds it was much nicer to use $4 napa fuel filters compared to $11 fleetguard filters.
mdnelson86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.