JD fuel guage issue - Page 4 - The Combine Forum

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The 24 volt system may have been diffeentered but all factory 12 volt 4020 were that way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Well the sender in my 4440 hasn't been touched since 1979, so I'm hoping this will be a more dependable option than what I've been getting.

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I converted my "early" 4020 to the 12 volt system about a year ago. I bought the complete kit from JD. While I cant speak to changes made through all the years of production on the 4020's, on my particular tractor the original gauge operates off the positive ground side of the double 12 volt system. I had replaced my gauge several years ago and it always worked fine. The only change required when I converted to 12volt was to reverse the polarity at the gauge and it functions fine with the original sender, at least so far. The instructions that come with the JD kit are not very good though so if you don't understand that system it would still be easy to mess something up. The instructions do mention "possibly" having to change both the gauge and the sender.
whtbaron likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 PM

Not sure if this helps or not but I still have the install instructions from the kit and this is what JD suggests:
If fuel gauge does not register properly install negative ground fuel gauge and the associated sending unit as follows:
1) For 4010, 4020 early:Fuel gauge AR46271 Sending Unit:AR26434
2) For 4010 and late 4020:Fuel gauge AR45436 Sending Unit:AR46268

Not sure why they list 4010 again with late model 4020, maybe a typo???
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Well, that's 2 more combinations beside the 2 that were given to me by "competent" parts people. No wonder people are having issues.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Darren Bowman;2724777]I converted my "early" 4020 to the 12 volt system about a year ago. I had replaced my gauge several years ago and it always worked fine. ...QUOTE]

Any chance they'd still have a record of the gauge's part number at your dealership? Can you see the number on your sender? After all the suggestions I've seen, it would be interesting to know what you have on there that is working... although I've had setups that lasted over a year too, and now they're scrap. I wouldn't be surprised if they are totally different numbers than what we've seen suggested.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:22 AM

I will look and see what I can find out. There is a little more to the story though and is part of the reason I said the instructions with that conversion kit are poor. When I did the conversion I knew the fuel gauge on those tractors was 12 volt but wasn't sure how the polarity was set up. There was no reason to remove the dash cowling when I did the work and since I assumed that if there was any chance of hurting anything when doing the conversion surely JD would have made note of it in there instructions. All it says in there instructions is "fuel gauge may not register properly" or "may have to replace gauge/sender". Well when I turned the key on the needle on the gauge wrapped straight down and stayed there. Gauge wrecked. Removed console and of course found the polarity backwards. However I am sure if I would have known to check this and reverse the wiring that gauge would have continued to work. So I was forced to replace the gauge with a new one (and ya, I think it was around $250). I am pretty sure the new gauge they sold me was the AR46271 but the only difference between it and the old one, at least by appearance, was the terminals were labelled different on the back(reversed) to allow for the change in polarity.
whtbaron likes this.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:39 PM

Had a look at my tractor and unfortunately the only markings on the sending unit are S.W. and mexico. I assume this means someone must have changed the sending unit at sometime before I got the tractor because I am pretty sure the originals wouldn't have been made in Mexico. I only bought the tractor about 15 years ago. The new gauge I got from JD was actually #RE53664 which is apparently a sub up from the AR46271.
whtbaron likes this.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

You may be in luck then. The RE53664 gauge is the one the "expert" recommended if it's paired up with a AR26434 sender. I mentioned earlier that you had to be careful to match the ohm's by part number... the RE53664 is a 0 to 30 ohm gauge, similar rating to what GM used prior to 1964.

Last edited by whtbaron; 02-14-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page