Starting 4020 after Sitting 5 Years - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Starting 4020 after Sitting 5 Years

I'm trying to get my dad's old JD 4020 diesel running after it has been sitting for 5 years. It has a powershift transmission and the electrical system has been converted.

I bought new batteries for it and hooked them up but all I got was a clicking noise when I hit the starter button.

I don't know much about this tractor, and I am not much of a mechanic, but I just found the original operator's manual which should give me some help.

I am gonna try to turn the engine manually to make sure it is not stuck but other than that I don't know what to do. My step-dad thinks I may have the batteries hooked up wrong because of the electical conversion.

Anybody have any ideas to help me get it going?
kwc27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
Default Re: Starting 4020 after Sitting 5 Years

Is it a single "CLICK", or a

click-click-click-click-click-click
as long as you hold the key?
Christian A. Herrnboeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just a single "click" then if I hit the button again the "click" noise comes again but is weaker. If I hit it a third time there is usually nothing until I wiggle the battery cables, then it might "click" again.

I should note that that I should probably replace the battery cables as they are trash but I figured I could get a half-ways decent connection in the condition they are in.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Need to verify that the system has been converted to 12v. Then i would use a volt meter and measure the voltage at the starter and engage starter while checking voltage, then track back until you find the voltage drop. If you are wanting to just get it cranked without changing cables or fixing the problems, just pull it off using another tractor, but be careful doing that, if the clutch is stuck when it cranks it can turn into a wild ride.
louisianagreentech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

OK sounds like you have bad connections, I would get new ends and clamps put on the cables you have. Also the 4020 never came with a 6v system, rather they had two 6V batteries hooked in series to make 12 volts. Some 4020s today have two 12v batteries hooked in parallel. To find out which one you have (if you still have them) look at your old batteries and count the number of caps on one battery. If you have 3 caps you have a 6v battery, and with 6 caps a 12v. Let me me know what you find and I can help you go form their.
johndeere4230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Your 4020 could have came out of the factory 24volt and been converted to 12volt. We had a '68 4020 power shift with 24volt, never converted it, it started great in cold weather! The starter should have the voltage on it. As 4230 says, it depends on what batteries you have. If you have 2 6volt batteries the + and - on each battery will be connected, then the other + goes to the starter, and the last - is to the frame to get the 12volts. If you have 2 12volts hooked up the same way you would have 24volts. If you have 2 12volt batteries with both + connected together and both - to the frame to get the 12volts. Some what confusing I know, especially if you go to jump start 4020 with unknown voltage. More than one person made some sparks trying to used the old 24volt power shift to jump something else! Good luck! Also I'm not sure that you could pull start a power shift, maybe wrong on that thought.
barry429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

It has two twelve volt batteries. I am almost fairly certain it was converted to 12v at some point but I will look into it more.

I will see about getting some new battery clamps, but I am going to be busy this week so it might be a while before I get to it.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

When putting on your new battery clamps, be sure and clean the ends of the cables, easiest way to do this is to cut it off just inside the insulation and strip back new if they're long enough. Make sure the terminal rings that connect to the starter and the starter post itself is scraped clean and shiny. Also check where the negatives connect to the chassis, that there's no rust under the connections and everything is shined up before you reconnect. The "voltage drop" advice above is not really wrong, but incomplete, since when the key is on but not in the start position, the current is fairly small and the Volts won't drop much, but bad connections add resistance, and when the starter is engaged, the current requirement is much higher and the voltage will peter out and not crank the engine.

Edit: Sorry, I now see he said "with starter engaged"
tbone95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Grab the fan and with the other hand, reach in and hold the slack side of the fan belt tight and you can turn the engine until you get up on a compression stroke. A worn engine will spin pretty easily. A good one, you will have to turn it slowly through each compression stroke. Hope you find the latter.

Also a good idea to check for water in the oil. Loosen the drain plug and see if any will drip out. Oil level may also be high on the stick because of water under it. Never know what might have happened in the time it was sitting.

No, you can' t pull it off to start it. If you have to pull it some distance, use the "tow" latch behind the left battery to disconnect the transmission from the wheels so it doesn't damage the transmission from lack of lubrication while towing. You should have manual steering, but not brakes! Not a real good combination while towing.

If you start at the starter solenoid terminal and follow the cables to the first battery post (what is it's polarity?) and then from the other battery terminal to the frame or straight to the next battery (what polarity is it's first connection from the first battery or frame?), and from that battery to the frame or starter (where does it connect? stud on the end of the starter or solenoid terminal)

You could have .......
series 6 volts (solenoid to +left bat- then to +right bat- to frame (ground) That's how Deere did it on the newer tractors

parallel 12 volts (both batteries are 12 volt and both + posts have connection to starter solenoid and both - terminals have connection to frame (ground) This is how I prefer to do it.

Series 12 volts (24 volt system) original design. Left battery + goes to starter solenoid terminal, left battery - goes to frame. Right battery + goes to frame, negative goes to terminal on front of starter. A starter with an internal short usually will drain the right battery only, the solenoid will isolate the left battery and prevent it from being drained by a bad starter. The accessory electrical equipment on the tractor is divided between the two batteries somehow, can't remember exactly how.

Our 24 converted to 12 volt cranks just as good as it did when on 24. The price of repairing the generator and starter was getting out of hand, so I converted it to a Delco 10SI alternator and parallel 12 volt batteries. Now our generator/starter man says the old Delco starters are getting too expensive to fix and has supplied us a newer model, slightly heavier duty Delco starter with a more durable solenoid on it. It has to be indexed correctly to clear the intake manifold and the side cover over the starter area will no longer fit. So far it's only been on a few months.
ccjersey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think CCJersey has hit the nail on the head. I will add one comment on the starter, we were having problems with our 12volt Delco starter on the '71 4020. Had it rebuilt, no change, new batteries no change. Talked to one of the old mechanics at Deere, he said pitch the Delco and put a Nippendenzo on it. Said he hated to admit it but the da*mn Jap starter will spin the motor better! Had the rebuilder make use up a Nippendenzo, changed nothing else, starts on the 2nd or 3rd turn now. Sounds a lot different when cranking than the Delco.
On another note, I'm seriously considering building an arch, if this rain doesn't quite we'll need it!!
barry429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.