John Deere 9400 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default John Deere 9400

Hey I have a 1999 John Deere 9400 with a 12 speed power shift. This is a high hour tractor (8300) and has been worked hard all of its life. It was used as a scraper tractor for the first 7000 hours and now it has came out west and is pulling a heavy no-till drill on the palouse hills.
Since we bought this tractor it has been a nightmare. We have chased hydraulic problems all through it. Now we have lost the engine on her.
My question is are these tractors problematic at this kind of hours. An even bigger question is when do the powershift transmissions typically go out. I am scared that is going to be next.
Any help will be appreciated!!
8010when is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: John Deere 9400

That 12 speed transmission isn't the transmission of choice in the 9000's series tractors... you're better off with the 24 speed powerquad or the 18 speed powershift... the 12 speed isn't real highly thought of from what I've been told.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 04:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

7000 hrs on a scraper will tear any tractor up, no matter what the brand. I don't want to sound like doomsday but i think you have many more problems. I am also surprised the transmission is still holding up. When I used to run scrapers for a large earthmoving company most powershifts (case ih, jd) were being replaced at around 5000, poor operators and that could be halved.
Bundy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
nbc

Scraper tractor hours are like 3/5 to 1 in AG.
In other words you bought a 7000 hour tractor with like 21,000 hours of wear..
The 12 speed isn't a good one to have the 24 speed with out pull the 18 speed.

I am not a Deere fan my any means. If it was up to me we would be CAT, NH, and Massey. I hate them, but we have a 9400 on the farm and it has been dang good. I would take a 9400/9420 with a 24 speed over any other 9000/9020/9030 tractor out there.
nbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

The 24 speed in the Deere 4WDs is a GREAT transmission. However, as most of the previous posters point out, the 12 speed PS is something I would run away from. These transmissions usually ended up on tractors pulling pan scrapers, and therefore I'd stay far away from them. Bundybear makes a great point about poor operators. Nothing against earthmoving firms (my brother is part owner of one) but the "help" sometimes doesn't care how the machine performs and is just putting in his time.
greeniron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Two words, "Scraper Tractor" sums up your problems. We bought a 1982 industrial Steiger with 6,000 hrs and it has been to he!! and back pulling a scraper. Keep in mind this tractor is heavier duty then the 9400 too. The problems that we have had so far haven't bothered us because we knew what we were getting, tractor doesn't get used much, and we bought more for a collector piece anyway.

Also, if somebody can help me on this, I think the 12 speed ps was made by somebody else maybe Twin Disc and the 18 speed is Deere's own. 24 speed was and still is a good tranny especially when compared to the 12 speed but the 18 speed trumps it now.
jd95guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

i'd rather buy an old terex ts14 than wreck my ag tractor on a scraper.....got to have the right tool 4 the job
jdinsk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

The 12 speed is a twin disc. When we bought this tractor we were told that it had never been put in front of a scraper. When the truck drive showed up here, he told us that when he picked it up she was sitting next to a line of scraper machines. Our other clue was that the draw bar was brand new. We are just assuming that she was used as a scraper now but were completely unaware of that when we bought her. Thanks for the advice, we have bought lots of stuff off the internet and this is the first time we were burned. Next time the tractor is going to be local, plus who can afford trucking these days.
8010when is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Tells you it never pulled a scraper and then the trucker picks it up beside the scrapers? Seems as though a call to a lawyer is due. Surely you must have some recourse on this.

As far as the tractor goes, how are the hinge pins? These can be an issue if the operator is unsure how a grease gun works.
olblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yup, 12 spd powershift is not a desireable trans. I actually worked on a scraper 9520 yesterday. It had 10,000 hrs and a new engine. The company it came from said that the engines need to be done between 8 and 10,000 hrs. They run 20 9520's.

I saw the complete service records of this tractor and some of the other units. Final drives and major hinge/gudgeon repairs had to be done every 5000 hrs. As a testiment to the 18 spd powershift not ONE of their units had ever had any internal transmission trouble and some units were as high as 12,000 hrs.
greentech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.