Deere 4x4 Kinze Repowers - looking for info - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Re: Deere 4x4 Kinze Repowers - looking for info

Well heck, I can't find my brochure. Oh well. Someone already posted scans of it somewhere in this forum. There are at least two topics about this somewhere; they shouldn't be too hard to find.

As I understand Kinze never put Cats in them; they just used Cummins. The 855 in the 86XX family was rated at 350 horsepower. The 84XX family was 300hp, and the 8850 was 400hp. All of the tractors had the frame extended to fit the larger engine. They also moved the hydraulic pump to behind the engine, then mounted the batteries above that. They topped it off with a tilting fiberglass hood and the option of either a muffler or chromed straight pipe. The front half of the tractor was repainted as standard, but painting the back half and wheels was extra.

I've seen it stressed somewhere (either in the literature or from talking to a rep at a farm show, can't remember exactly) that the conversion wasn't designed to let you pull more than what JD intended for the tractor. It's just to let you pull what you have more efficiently. I kinda think an 855 is overkill for an 84XX or 86XX family tractor. I think an 8.3 or, at most, an L10/M11 would be a better fit. I'm not an engineer, though; just thinking out loud.

Oh, welcome btw.
okpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

One thing I wonder is if there were any overheating issues on these conversions. Was the same radiator that came stock with the 619 engine used on the Kinze conversion?
greeniron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have no idea. I've heard that the 619s had overheating problems when worked really hard, so one would think a bigger radiator would be in order for the 855.

Dad talked to the reps a few years ago at the 3I show about converting our 8440, but he decided the expense wasn't really worth it and put in a reman 466. It's a cool idea, but I would always be worrying about driveline components holding up with all that torque. Plus, I'd hate to have a mechanic tear into the old tractor and find something wrong that would take a lot of money to repair.
okpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are some pictures on my old post http://www.combineforums.proboards42.com....lay&thread=17 45
The repowers are a thing of the past! There is NOBODY doing them anymore that I am aware of. If I am wrong, correct me. I have a 8850 that needs open heart surgery.
CC
calicocat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

As far as i know,kjrepower in alberta is working on a cummins conversion for older Deeres.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes I have talked with the Ponoka fella's already, and it will be some time before they are avail, if at all.
CC
calicocat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

For what it is worth I know of a 8850 Kinze re-power for sale at Blackwell, OK. If looking for one PM me.
oklahomajoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Kinze just got out of the repowers about a year ago now but it would not be hard to fab your own
maxxforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

We actually got the last kit form Kinze in summer 2007. Our 619 laied down spring of 2007 with a spun main bearing. Did some calling on JD 619's. Then I check the Kinze web site for repowers. It said they were selling last kits to customers to install them selfs. So we purchased the kit went to Williamsburg picked up the frame, hood, drop box ,all hoses, air cleaner, exhaust. . Took to our shop and installed it in winter of 2008. I had a 855 out of a truck We overhauled the 855 ,I had to buy a front sump pan and a VS govern pump. We did the whole project for under 18 grand. It was 15 grand for the kit 2300.00 to overhaul 855. We set the pump at 400 run and looks awesome. We are located in south east South Dakota. I will try to add some photos. alos try to nculed a photo of our pulling tractor
sweetemotiondeere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Deere 4x4 Kinze Repowers - looking for info

Hey,

I am very curious about the old John Deere Kinze repowers, particularly 8630's and 8640's.

I guess you could get them with a Cummins or Cat engine? The ones with CAT engines were the ones that the front end was extended?????

Can anyone explain these machines a little?

Pictures would be awesome!!!!!

Thanks
mxmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.