Belarus/MTZ K-701/7111 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
Default Belarus/MTZ K-701/7111

Hi all!

I'm a first-time poster (long time reader - great forum!) and figured I might as well post pictures as my first post

This is our 4WD workhorse... it's rather rare and unique; both for what it is, and its age/hour combo (1993 / 1500 hrs)

From the outside:

The engine:

(Yes, that is actually a 27-liter V12)

The pics are from last fall... I need to get some from the interior.

No computers in this one... but it sure as heck gets the job done!

-Christian
Christian A. Herrnboeck is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Belarus/MTZ K-701/7111

Quote:(Yes, that is actually a 27-liter V12)

How much horsepower does that beast have? Are parts hard to come by? Looks like a rugged machine.

Welcome, by the way.
okpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck

Thanks, okpanhandle!

The book says that the rated Engine Output (PTO) is 350Hp. We had it on a dyno and it clocked in at 550HP @ 1300RPM. In the field, the book recommends to run it at "1500 +/- 200", so I'm guessing 550 is its peak HP. The book says that it pulls with a "force of 60,000Kgs" in 3rd gear, though I've never heard of a tractor being rated that way!

Parts aren't all that hard to come buy. Soo Line Farm'n Auto in Lang, Sask. has everything you need for them (new and used). The tech there is great to... he really knows these big ones inside and out. Belarus Tractors of Canada has quite a few dealers out here these days. It's a shame they don't sell ones like mine anymore. It's just the small (35 - 125HP) tractors now.

And the kicker, it only uses 20 - 30 liters of fuel / hr!

-Christian
Christian A. Herrnboeck is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had do some quick units conversion, but that's an impressive maximum pull and fuel use (but I think it would burn a little more diesel pulling 132,000lbs ). What do you guys use it for?

I've seen Belarus tractors at a farm show years ago, but they never could build much of a dealer base out here. They had a 1770 4wd there, but I think their main business is small utility tractors for the city people who own a few acres.

Kevin
okpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

That is a beautiful looking motor.
Just curious on the hp, when you say 550 at 1300 rom (engine rpm I assume) was this corrected back to 1000 pto rpm on the dyno dial?
What I mean by this is that if you dyno a tractor and the pto is turning 1000rpm, then you have whatever HP it says on the 1000rpm scale. If you keep cranking the dyno, the dial will read a higher #, but it has to be corrected back to 1000rpm on the readout.
For example, if the pto speed on this baby is 1600 rpm (total guess) and the dial says 550 hp and the motor is at 1300 rpm then it is a linear calculation to find the real hp.
550 x 1300/1600 = 447.
I have no idea how you dyno'd it, but I have seen many people misread a dyno.
What is the engine rpm at 1000pto speed?
Either way, VERY impressive.
27 L...wow.
What's it sound like?
kinzepower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hi,

Kevin:

Belarus didn't take off too well in the US, I think. Here in Canada, there are quite a few of the 825s, and the 5000 series tractors running. We have a 5180 (the newer 825) with 7,000 hours and it continues to serve us well! Honestly, I've never hit the limit on that beast... we pull a 42' chisel plow with it (17" sweeps) and use it to rip native pasture and hayland. It also runs a 72' heavy harrow, and a 51' cultivator.
We're looking at buying an 50' air drill for it yet, as the old press drills are getting too slow!

kinzepower:

The PTO runs at 1,000RPM when the engine is at 1,600 RPM. We had it done at the local John Deere dealership, so I don't know how they had set the dyno, honestly.
At idle it is extremely quite and runs as smooth as an idling diesel locomotive. At working loads, it kind of sounds like the old D8 Cats. From the cab, you don't really hear the engine - just the whining of the powershift transmission.

Engine weight is 6,500 lbs
Transmission weight is 4,700 lbs
Transmission pump is ~ 1,000lbs
The whole tractor weighs in at 12 tons, without ballast (and it runs without any weights, just fluid in the rear tires).

-Christian
Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

That monster only weighs 12 tons?!?
I would really like to see it run.
I still can't get over the engine pic...sweet.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Gotta love Belarus... conflicting info between the brochure and the service/operator book.

Weight empty, with no fluids, tires or filters is 30,000 lbs. The brochure lists it at 260 PTO/HP It also lists the engine as a JAMZ-240, but the tractor's serial plate lists it as a VK-109.

Anyway, I'm going to see if I can get some video of it working... I was doing fall work with it yesterday, and will be out there again this afternoon for a few hours

Trust me, the engine has that affect on everyone When we had it at the dealership, a lot of guys came by to have a look at it!

-Christian
Old 10-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

How has it treated you in it's 1500 hours?

Hey...I have to come to Sask. in laste Nov, Saskatoon I believe for a meeting.
Where are you?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Honestly... it's had issues, but most of them human caused.

1. It's transmission is... 'strange' for people not accustomed to it. Even when shifted into neutral, or when you hit the drain pedal, there is a considerable load passed to the wheels (it can pull a heavy-harrow in neutral, and idle) - this, combined with the fact it has air breaks caused us to break one of the outboard final drives. (This happened a long time ago though... I wasn't the one driving it then). We had to get a new final drive housing, which was a $800 deal (sun and spider gears, casing, and shafts).

2. The engine has a tendency to turn over backwards during the shutdown procedure - if you know it does this, it's easy enough to correct - hit the starter button once to turn the engine over, and then start it. Well, anyway, someone put it in the shed one night, and had it go backwards, of course I didn't get told and just drove it out into the field the next day. Needless to say, one push-rod on the exhaust valve got bent, which in turn over-heated the one cylinder, which in turn cracked the crankshaft. So... off to the JD dealer (it's either him, or CaseIH, and I don't trust the fellows in that outfit) pulled the engine, replaced the crank, and main bearings, one connecting rod, and con-rod bearings. Total bill as $12,000 for that 'incident'. This is also when we had the thing dyno'ed.

Other than that, we didn't have any issues with it, and the past four years / 500 hours it hasn't needed so much as a bolt. (After that #2 happened, it was resolved that only I operate it - it takes a lot of experience to get it to operate reliably).

We're in Manitoba, around the Dauphin area (50 KM north that is) you're welcome to come by! I've been to Regina, so I know you can get from there to here in 3 hours. Saskatoon is one hour more I believe.

-Christian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.