The Combine Forum banner

buying only 1 tractor for farming 200 acres.

20K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  farmerSK 
#1 ·
I am going to start farming roughly 200 acres on my own in the spring of 2016 and am looking at purchasing 1 tractor to do my no-till farming. (have helped farm for several years, so not brand new) I was wondering what tractors people would recommend. I have a John Deere dealer very close and Case/IH, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, and New Holland dealers within 45 minutes. I would like to stay around the $40,000 range for a tractor. thanks

#4 ·
Wait, what? You're only doing 200 acres and intend to spend $40K on a tractor? My father farmed more than that with a 40hp tractor. It took him more time but he also had money to put in the bank at the end of the year instead of paying money to the bank who still owned the tractor. Watch your expenditures until you know that they will have a payback.

#16 ·
Wait, what? You're only doing 200 acres and intend to spend $40K on a tractor? My father farmed more than that with a 40hp tractor. It took him more time but he also had money to put in the bank at the end of the year instead of paying money to the bank who still owned the tractor. Watch your expenditures until you know that they will have a payback.
I know, right?:eek:

Thanks for the responses. I am looking at spending more money because I have the ability to pick up an additional 250 acres of family owned ground but just want to start off with 200 to get my feet wet. I have a full time job and when it is time to be in the field I want to be able to minimize breakdowns as much as possible.
And when you are ready for a bigger / better tractor for that land, whatever you buy now won't be worth $0, it will be worth pretty close to what you paid for it, because you're staying out of the rapid depreciation zone.

I could farm 200 acres with my JD 2555 with fwa and a loader, probably less than $20,000, and in 5 years, it will be worth about what it is now.

#5 ·
for the $ older magnums are probably the best buy. And enough power for some larger tillage implements if you need them or a bigger planter if you ended expanding. We have 2 7120s and yes they are bullet proof but I would say that when things do go wrong parts are getting a little sketchy for them. I have a Kubota for doing chores and I wouldn't bother looking there for a field tractor.... too light on the back end to generate any sort of traction for pulling and the open center hydraulics don't run orbit motors all that well if you were to try to do any spraying.

40 and 50 and 7000 series Deeres are always good tractors but if you are on a budget will always end up overpaying for what is a pretty old (and likely houred out) tractor ....

Whatever you decide on, bigger is always better. get stuff done quicker if you are working off farm and if you do get a chance to expand in a while will allow you to expand some of your implements without replacing tractor right away.....

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I am looking at spending more money because I have the ability to pick up an additional 250 acres of family owned ground but just want to start off with 200 to get my feet wet. I have a full time job and when it is time to be in the field I want to be able to minimize breakdowns as much as possible.

#17 ·
For a good all around universal tractor, I'd get a 4440, 4450, or a 4455 Deere. You can get by with 6 row, up to 12 row planting equipment. If you were to pick up any acres, you would have enough tractor to take it on. With that and a good planter, and sprayer, you'd have all you'd need for the spring and summer. I would say you could save yourself some money and get by just fine with a 2wd.

#19 ·
And when you are ready for a bigger / better tractor for that land, whatever you buy now won't be worth $0, it will be worth pretty close to what you paid for it, because you're staying out of the rapid depreciation zone. [/QUOTE]

x2 My dad's old 4230 is still worth about what he paid for it 25+ years ago.

#21 ·
If your budget is $40k, I'd buy 2 tractors. I'd do like some have already suggested and buy a magnum with mfwd for about $25-30k (there are good one out there for that money) and a Deere 4020 or IH 1066 to go along with it. The smaller tractors can be fitted with a front end loader that can be very useful. Also the smaller tractors are handy for planting, fertilizing and spraying. The larger tractor such as a 7130 or 7140 magnum would be good for disking, field cultivating, and even a 4 shank ripper.

#23 ·
Get a Case 4490.. used to use it for everything...harrows..sprayer..combine..rock picker. like them so much I think we have 5 or 6 of em. They can have their issues but they are cheap to fix. Used to be able to buy em for $6000-$7000.. but now they seem to be in that $15000 range

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.