The Combine Forum banner

JD 7810 linkage issue

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  MCatSHF 
#1 ·
G'day all,
I've got a 1998 7810 which the linkage sticks in the raised position.
Using it more often now with a spreader and is a pain to get down. Used to jump on it and would come down after a while, now using a loader to get it down and needs plenty weight to move it.
Anyone else have the same issue and do you live with it or is there repair option? Dealer here not very insightful.
Goes fine with the spreader weight.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

#2 ·
Our 7410 has the same issue the only thing on the farm with 3pt hitch is our Claas rake once hooked up its fine but a PITA to get to lower if we are using rake on and off a lot we leave linkage arms down. It takes to people to get arms to drop we thing its a combo of single acting cylinders and an un greasable upper rockshaft. We have no solution except to use 3pt linkage more it works itself loose if u use it a bunch

#3 ·
Thanks Alfred, we always thought it was cold oil in cylinders but that doesn't seem to matter. Once it's down (lots up and down with loader to get it there) and implement attached it's ok. Unhook and lift up = stuck again. Would like to leave down but gets in the way a fair bit.

#4 ·
DJ, my 8100 was like that when I got it. I think from lack of use they just get tight everywhere, including the ram seals.
Mine came good after lots of grease and lots of use. I don't think cold oil would be an issue.
Hook onto something heavy enough to drop it and sit there raising and lowering. It will free up.

#6 ·
Huh. Sounds like a pain in the butt. If I had something like that, 99% of the time there isn't 2 people to get it down. Do you have a spot in your yard you could build a "rack" of some sort? Something simple, like plant 2 posts in the ground, then a post across with a hydraulic cylinder on it or something. Back under the cross member / hydraulic ram, get out and hook up the hydraulic ram to your tractor, get back in the tractor and lower the arms, then activate the ram to push them down. Pain in the butt, just a suggestion.

#7 ·
Yeah it is tbone. Dad and I can do it together so that makes it a bit easier. I used to be able to do it myself jumping on linkage and switching up down thru back window. We've had tractor since new and I think it's always been difficult, hence the thought about oil, I'll check with dad about that. Certainly did more linkage work in early years compared to recently.
I'll try your suggestion Auscocky, deliberate more up and downs rather than just doing it to fill spreader which doesn't work as it isn't enough.
Thanks guys

#8 ·
good idea tbone, but I think it would be a fairly elaborate frame to get enough pressure. Can lift loader tractor front wheels off the ground and get no movement. I've hung 400kg nose weights on a bar between arms with very little movement as well (my one man solution)
It's very annoying.

#9 ·
I guess I was thinking more of the "you can jump on it and make it work" type pressure, rather than 400kg's not working!!! Something seems wrong / a pain in the butt!!! I borrowed a 7810 for a few days couple years ago, 3 pt worked easy as pie. My only experience.

#14 ·
Thanks for the replies will try the seal kit and grease in pivots. Dad tells me it's been hard to lower since new and he could never get much grease into the pivots. All the rest machine greased every diesel fill.
Will dismantle and see how we go.
Cheers

#17 ·
Hello FarmerDJ
My 7700 was the same way when I bought it (used) & had to push it down with a front end loader the first time that I ever had to lower it. I asked the salesman about that & was told that it is common problem & just comes from lack of use. I now have a 3 PTH planter & sprayer, so it gets a bit of use now & stays loose. I can't figure out why JD didn't put grease fittings on the rockshaft???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.