Two way radios interfering with GPS - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Two way radios interfering with GPS

I'm thinking about installing two way radios in my tractors and I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with them interferring with the GPS signal? I'm only using the WAAS signal.
Canolakid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes I have had this problem. Changed the radio out and the problem stopped. Not sure what was up with that.
drylandfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

We have a bunch, it's recommended you keep any antenae at least three feet from the GPS antena. I don't think we are having any interference.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

keep the antenna as far away as possible for the reciever even then we still have problems every once and a while.
brownie31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

We've never had problems with the gps signal but our radios do interfere with grain moisture meter.
Wheatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have had troubles in my sprayer tractor, when the radio mike is keyed it will kick out my auto steer and shut off my auto boom control. Still havnt figured out why. Doesnt seem to bother the autosteer in tractors or combine.
stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickeye View Post
I have had troubles in my sprayer tractor, when the radio mike is keyed it will kick out my auto steer and shut off my auto boom control. Still havnt figured out why. Doesnt seem to bother the autosteer in tractors or combine.
Move your power source for the two way to a different circuit, when you key the mike your radio is consuming too much power and causing enough voltage drop it's cutting out your computers.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickeye View Post
check your power and ground wires, something is shorting out and grounding your autosteer. i had the same problem in my swather last year and it was just a loose power wire on the radio. fixed the connection and had zero problems after that
proskoj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info guys, sounds like I'll give it a shot. My STX is prewired for the antenna, with just a little dimple in the roof where you drill a hole....the cable is supposed to be right there. Its a little over 4 feet from the GPS antenna. Has anyone drilled at this dimple and found the cable/connector right there?
Canolakid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think if you use waas, and you have a VHF radio, you are more likely to have some issues. I'd have to look up the freq's, but I think I'm right on that. Try moving the antenna for the radio farther away from the GPS, it might help. If you lose correction (waas), you will probably kick out your autosteer, as well as your section control, as they are probably set to only work with proper correction.
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.