Fuel transfer tank in back of pickup? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 02:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fuel transfer tank in back of pickup?

How do you guys secure these in your truck bed? Don't really want to drill holes in the bed.

Also what do you guys do to seal the threads? Permatex PST or teflon paste or something else? Thanks
farmer ih is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default fuel tank

cut a rubber mat the same size as your tank, put this directly on the steel floor of your pickup, if you have a hard plastic bed liner you will definatly need this, I personally don't secure my tank guess my opinion is if I roll the truck I don't want that with me??? The rubber mat keeps the tank from sliding around, I also put a 2x4 on the floor in front of the tank to keep it from rubbing on the front of the pickup bed. Use teflon tape to seal fittings, not liquid tef. but good old tape!!!!
cat75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

I built our tanks so they just fit between front of box and the wheelwell, Maybe 1/2" shy on each side.
Like Cat75 I don't want it with me if something bad happens.
I put a 2x4 on edge in front and on both sides to keep it from sliding around at all. Works quite well

In the past I had purchased a couple tanks and bolted them in to the trucks , but they both ended up cracking right where the angle iron mount is welded onto the tank for the hold down.
I think they cracked because they were bolted too rigid and when the trucks flexed a little it would work the metal.

Last edited by Big Cob; 03-20-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Big Cob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

The transport canada rules state anything 100 gals or over must be attached to the frame. A log book must be maintained in the truck weather it is transporting fuel or not. Large fines!
catfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

When I secure tanks in pickups I always use the mounting hole but at the shop we had 1 in rubber bushings from some other project and used those they would allow a little flex. Like was stated before they (aluminum) tanks seem to always crack when bolted solid. When mounting a half round tank use the straps! In the shops I have worked in the cardinal sin was never EVER us teflon tape unless your under your kitchen sink! I always have a tube or bottle in the tool box. Can be very important when working working on hydraulic fittings.You do not want to find thoses little strings when you tear down a pump!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Teflon tape wil always leak with diesel liquid teflon is best.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
farmerleach

New tanks come with straps that are designed to go over the tanks, and bolt into the bed of the truck. If your going to be taking the in and out of your truck box you better have at least a couple of nylon straps across it. If its not tied in and a DOT stops you, you'll get a ticket, its not a nice ticket either. They want them secured so that in an accident they don't come out of your box. They don't like the nylon tie down straps, but if its tied in with them, my experience is they won't write you a ticket, they will probably give you a warning, but its not going to cost you a $240 insecure load ticket.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just throw it in and strap it down, that's what the hooks in the corner of the box are for. Use a ratchet strap that is rated for the weight of the tank and fuel (must be written on the strap) and an officer can't fine you.
I use rubber mats for horse trailers you can buy at UFA for my truck box. I cut it out around the wheel wells and I slit it at the ends so I can bend it up the front about four inches and it bends up and down when I open and close the end gate, covers the gap between the bed and end gate, works great and it's very anti slip !
Old 03-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerleach View Post
New tanks come with straps that are designed to go over the tanks, and bolt into the bed of the truck. If your going to be taking the in and out of your truck box you better have at least a couple of nylon straps across it. If its not tied in and a DOT stops you, you'll get a ticket, its not a nice ticket either. They want them secured so that in an accident they don't come out of your box. They don't like the nylon tie down straps, but if its tied in with them, my experience is they won't write you a ticket, they will probably give you a warning, but its not going to cost you a $240 insecure load ticket.
The fine is $600 plus, its not for unsecured load, it is for unsecured fuel cylinder, which is the same as you will get for a propane or oxygen bottle if they arent tied down.

Anything over 100 gal or 450L also requires a placard. Again another $600 plus fine. And as Catfarmer said, its over this volume when documentation is required.

There are special allowances in the Transport of Dangerous Goods Act that apply only to farmers. Go to the Alberta Transport website site and you can download the rules covering portable fuel tanks.

Any farm registered vehicle in Alberta can only carry a tank with 1500 kgs of fuel that can only be for on farm use and within 100 kms of home. The exemption from the TDG act doesnt apply if you exceed these restrictions.

I know two locals with the bigger tidy tanks who got hit last summer by those Alberta sheriffs we got running around here because of the Ft Mac hyway and both times the two fines were over 1200 combined.
albertabuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
farmerleach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
The fine is $600 plus, its not for unsecured load, it is for unsecured fuel cylinder, which is the same as you will get for a propane or oxygen bottle if they arent tied down.

Anything over 100 gal or 450L also requires a placard. Again another $600 plus fine. And as Catfarmer said, its over this volume when documentation is required.

There are special allowances in the Transport of Dangerous Goods Act that apply only to farmers. Go to the Alberta Transport website site and you can download the rules covering portable fuel tanks.

Any farm registered vehicle in Alberta can only carry a tank with 1500 kgs of fuel that can only be for on farm use and within 100 kms of home. The exemption from the TDG act doesnt apply if you exceed these restrictions.

I know two locals with the bigger tidy tanks who got hit last summer by those Alberta sheriffs we got running around here because of the Ft Mac hyway and both times the two fines were over 1200 combined.
And here I was bitching about the $240 ticket I got. I guess I was lucky.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.