Cat Challenger 65 or 75 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cat Challenger 65 or 75

what is your opinion on these older tracked tractors? was thinking about one for a grain cart but don;t know anyting about them. was specifically wondering about undercarriage wear and the smoothness of the ride. TIA
dieseldust is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

dieseldust, been running 65A cats since they came on to the market. Our first has 13,000 hours, last I heard after it went down the road, the other 65A we have now has 11,000 hours on it and niether machine has had any major drivetrain poblems. We have always changed oil in the bogies and the tranny and finals every 1 to 2 thounsand hours and had no problems. I would stick with a 65 in the older ones because it has the 3306 motor, which is bullitproof. It is also easily turned up to run at 350 hp with no problems. The one we have now with 11,000 hours has the original injectors and pump, and has only had the valves adjusted once. The tranny and finals on the original 65's are the same up to a 95e, which tells you how tough these machines were built. The thing I hate about them is the breaks, idiot who thought up that idea.
2388h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 02:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nothing wrong with any of them if they have been looked after. Look on iron search there are lots of them with over 25000 hours on them.
catfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks guys! I am going to have a look at the tractor and was wondering what things i should be looking at. It is a 93 65b 6500 hours
Old 04-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is youre grains cart hyd. driven ? If it is if it needs to be unloaded in a timely fashion and it is hyd I would put a atom jet extra pump on there or somthing . That is the only big draw back is pathetic hyd compared to the rest of the tractor . Not the smoothist ride but not bad most of the time . I have had an old 65 for quite awhile mainly pulls honey wagon . If it had as good as hyd as my old quad I would pull it with the cat . with the articulating that my quad has to do to get back on line it takes a while with the cat you could get back on line much quicker . Just didn't want to dump a bunch of money into the hyd just so it could run the grain cart.

look at the undercarage and how the belt is riding right in the middle or off to one side or another . Should be able to pull of the caps and look at a mesh screens on the finals on the back to look for a bunch of metal . How are the brakes? my went to crap on me as soon as I got them and to have the cat place fix them it would allmost cost as much to fix the brakes as it did for the machine. Allot of the electrical stuff you can get at a carquest or what ever way cheaper than my cat store anyway. And look for broken cords . Unless you run on pavement these tracks last for ever . I have had way better luck with my tracks lasting longer on my cat than on my quad??? both goodyears . THese old cats are great cheap hp good luck let us know what happens.

Last edited by montana; 04-09-2011 at 03:40 PM.
montana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

the tractor has a pto so it would run the cart and my honey wagon as well. What is the problem with the brakes? can a guy fix them without taking to the dealer? do you have to buy parts from a Cat dealer or does Agco support these older machines? i think that this tractor will work well for me and the floatation of the tracks might be a good thing in a year like the one shaping up.

thank you
Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

The stock tracks on a cat are made by camoplast. They are much better than the rest.WWhen we bought ours the factory people that came to the farm always asked about the brakes and what we thought. We never had a problem. They also always asked about the ac we nevr had a problem with that either. The hydrolic pump puts out 27 gals at 2750 psi the high flow pump puts out 35.5 at 2750 psi that became availible late in the c series.The cat branded tractors are supported by the cat dealers much better than agco. That is a good selling point in my mind.
catfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

dieseldust, the breaks work fine, they are just a maintenance issue. They are outboard disk brakes that run in the diirt, mud, and whatever else you drive through. You can buy the pistons, seals, and pads and rebuild them yourself, or Cat sells the calipers completly rebuilt. If you don't keep a close eye on them you can wear your pads down, have one be completely gone, and then start running the pistons on the disk. Then the calipers start leaking and all your break fluid leaks out. When working correctly they accually work well.
2388h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

A freind of mine who builds chaser bins says that the common denominator to chaser bins cracking up is track tractors; there is no give in that back drive wheel to cushin the drawbar, i would consider fitting a cushin hitch to help with bin life.
nig71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

These was, and still are great tractors!
c16man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.