VHF Antenna mount location??? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default VHF Antenna mount location???

I recently purchased 6 VHF radios and antennas from a farm auction. They are ICOM F-121. The frequency is 163.050. They came with mag mount antennas. I am installing one in my 9882 New Holland and am unsure of where to locate the antenna on the roof. I will have to silicone a steel plate to the roof for the magmount.

With the location of the radio in the cab, routing and length of antenna cable, I am only able to get the VHF antenna about 1.5-2' away from the FM antenna. Is this gonna cause me grief with interference?

At the current VHF antenna location, the GPS antenna is about 8' away, so hopefully no trouble there.

I am also new to the world of VHF so any help will be appreciated.
clubber is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 03:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

FM interference shouldn't be a problem as they aren't the same freq range. (88.1 - 107.9 MHz)

GPS freq's are in the 1000 MHZ and up range so no problem there.
bsigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

if you can mount the antenna on the hopper alot more metal makes a good booster for the atenna
akrumy32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

its a simple job to chop the coax and get another length and splice in with a couple of male and female mini UHF plugs, that you should be able to get from radio shack, the more metal around the antenna the better and the further away from any other radio the better, even ABS wires/loams can be effected.
jdboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

All the New Holland equipment we have is prewired for two-way radios, look on top of your roof, if you see a little chrome disk (about 1 1/4" diameter) thats your antenna mount, just screw it off and screw on your antenna. If you look in the owners manual it tells you where you will find the wiring and plugs inside the cab and it will have a template for the hole pattern on the right rear cab post. I built nice brackets so the radios sit the right way and the wiring goes through a 3/8" hole I drilled in the headliner and it looks factory. The coax ends are small so depending on the radio you might have to get adapters made or cut off the ends and solder on the proper ones and of course it depends on the antenna base your mag mounts have you might have to get antennas, so far mine have matched up .
Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Clubber
On our 9680 we made up a plate mounted on a flat bar with a twist in it that bolted onto the the exhaust clamp that holds the top elbow onto the top of the muffler. It worked well for us for the 14 years we owned the tractor. We mount all our 2 way antenna's and radio's as far away as possible from GPS Antenna's or Monitors . We have had some funny signals on our rate controllers when keying the mikes if they are too close.

Mark
Big Cob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quick question. I have all new equipment with the pre-wired business band radio cables. Is there any way to adapt those cables for the larger plugs on CB's? We use CB radio's in our equipment so we can talk with our semi's and passing semi's on the interstate that runs through the middle of our farm. Far better than FM radios in our case.
cyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

The 9882 is bad for interference, I've had trouble for years with mine(when keying the mic sets off buzzers and screws up the digital display). The solution I finally found was to make sure the VHF cable is routed away from the tractor performance monitor if your tractor is so equipped.

On a side note be sure to contact Industry Canada and get a licence for those radios, you may have to get a new frequency depending if anyone else in your area has the same one. I've had inspectors in my yard checking if I had a licence for my radios (He saw the antennas and thought he would make sure I was legit is what he told me). Sounds like a PITA but it can be a benifit as well, I've also had other people using my frequency and Industry Canada "took care" of them because the frequency is licenced to me and only me in this area.
csfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyfarmer View Post
Quick question. I have all new equipment with the pre-wired business band radio cables. Is there any way to adapt those cables for the larger plugs on CB's? We use CB radio's in our equipment so we can talk with our semi's and passing semi's on the interstate that runs through the middle of our farm. Far better than FM radios in our case.
You can get coax ends from your local communications (somebody that services and installs two way radios) shop or they can make adapters for you, they should also be able to supply you with CB tuned antenea that will screw right to your bases. CB antennae need to be "loaded" or have coils on them to function properly.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.