855 cummins - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 855 cummins

Hi guys I have a 875 versatile with a hole in the block due to my own neglect the cpl number on this engine goes from 280 to 340 hp i purchased an engine out of a 835 with a cpl from 230 to 275 hb the 835 engine has big cam written on the side seems strange that i cant go higher that 275 that cummins suggests i am wondering if i kept my 875 turbo and put it on this engine if that would allow me to go to 340 hp cuumins says the pistons might be different will i burn this thing up or when i rebuild it should i go with my old cpl number for the kit i would like to go 325 if possible
saskfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would change out fuel pump and injectors tooof the old one,will burn up if you dont have right air to fuel ratio,fuel pump and injectors will inter change use 875 setting spec
leon de koning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

are the turbos much different will the pump and injectors work with the different cam
Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

will they work with that supposed big cam
Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gonna have big ouchs, no Scott.
scott is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskfarmboy View Post
Hi guys I have a 875 versatile with a hole in the block due to my own neglect the cpl number on this engine goes from 280 to 340 hp i purchased an engine out of a 835 with a cpl from 230 to 275 hb the 835 engine has big cam written on the side seems strange that i cant go higher that 275 that cummins suggests i am wondering if i kept my 875 turbo and put it on this engine if that would allow me to go to 340 hp cuumins says the pistons might be different will i burn this thing up or when i rebuild it should i go with my old cpl number for the kit i would like to go 325 if possible
First off, what are the CPL numbers off of the two different engines

The first major issue you have here in regards to switching out components or changing up the fuel system is one is a small cam and the other a Big Cam...there are some big changes between the two in design such as camshaft and timing.

It is possible to change up the power ratings on these engines, but it requires some finesse and someone that knows what he is doing. I had the good fortune of being able to know a grand fellow who had MS and was crippled up, that had for 15 years been a Cummins shop foreman. I learnt a lot from him, he sat in the "directors chair" as we called it and supervised while I rebuilt a 350 small cam into a power house that would out pull any 425 Cat that I put my mind to do so. Needless to say he knew what number or injector went with what number of turbo and so on when you start messing with rail pressure on those engines.

Other than lifting one head bolt a couple of times that I needed all she had and then some, that engine 19 years later is still running strong, so it can be done if its done right
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.