JD 4630 Fuel Filter - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default JD 4630 Fuel Filter

I decided to change the fuel filter on my 4630 and 6600 both have the 404 engines. Problem is now I cant get the air bled back out of them. Put a new primer pump on the 4630. I can get almost all the air out but not 100%. The 6600 is the real PITA since the filter is on a slant and the air is not near the bleed bolt. Any tips would be appreciated.
DVFarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure if the 4630 has the same fuel filter setup as the 4430 or not (two square glass filters) but what I do, is instead of using the bleed screw, I open the hose between the filter housing and injection pump. On our 4430, that is the highest point in the system, and if you crank it a little, and push a primer pump a couple times, that is usually all it takes. That said, I have had to loosen a couple injection lines off the main injection pump in order to bleed the air out of it. Please note I said loosen, not remove!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

It has the same setup two square filters I will try that. Any thoughts as to a bad fuel pump pushing air into the system? I ask because this tractor died on me in the field this year disking. That's why I changed the filters thought they were dirty.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Check the sediment bowl, Im going to take a guess that it is plugged. You can also check the elbow that goes into the bottom of the fuel filter housing, it is a one way check valve, but I have seen it get plugged as well.

I could see a bad diaphram in the charge pump introducing air into the system.

I have had all the fuel lines off our 4430, and flushed the main tank and the whole system. We had an issue a few years back with someone putting dirt and I think sugar into our belly tank of the tractor which caused all sorts of problems. When I got it all cleaned, and put back together, I couldn't get the air out of the system. Turns out there was air in the injection pump and wow it was a headache to get out. Cranking injector lines is what allowed me to get it out, but in the end, I had to be on the ground bleeding, and pumping manual primer, while having someone in the cab starting it.

Also remember there is a shut off at he bottom of the front tank, in the hole in front of the front axle. Shutting it off makes life much easier to clean bowl, etc.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Another thing you might check is the fittings going into the injection pump. One time on a 4430 we had a wasp get in one of the banjo bolts and really restricted the fuel therefore would barely run
mojd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Any luck getting it going?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Got it started but air is coming in the filter supply line. I haven't had time to do much been to busy at work. I checked the sediment bowl it looks good and I replaced the gasket. I think your right about the supply pump should I replace it or rebuild it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.