autonomous tractors?? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default autonomous tractors??

check out this robot tractor. looks like an awesome concept especially the simplicity and ease of maintenance and the diesel electric drive system. here's a link to their website

Autonomous Tractor
proskoj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Great idea, but I think it will need some testing to iron some bugs out. Unless there is some serious steel in the front of it the balance is going to be way off when trying to pull a load. Also I question how well pneumatic drivers will work. I think Cat would have done that if it worked, they ended up with steel.
bena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

autonomous tractors are a good idea but due to liability factors I highly doubt that they will ever be more than an idea or prototype. imo
Deere Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would not rule out driverless technology. There will need to be lots of testing and of course it won't work everywhere or in all conditions, extremely wet, marginally passable conditions come to mind, but think of the money manufacturers can make. Instead of putting money into actual iron and parts to create a mobile "office" for us, they can instead get people to pay big dollars for technology which, once developed, can be reproduced extremely cheap ; ie - large profit margin. And we will pay. Just look at what people pay now for GPS. Who would have believed 20 years ago that we would be paying 10 to 15? thousand dollars to have our tractors drive themselves when we could really just do the steering ourselves for free. I know there is the efficiency and the not feeling stressed at the end of the day factor with GPS but wouldn't that apply to driverless technology even more so? If you would have told me 20 years ago that someday a robot would be milking my cows I would have laughed too, but it happened. Things change so much that it is hard to even imagine what will and what won't come true in the future.
havin'funfarming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Looks interesting, my grandfather told my father in the 50's that he would be able to drive the tractor from the living room one day....he was a bit ahead of his time it would seem
Won't be suitable everywhere, but it will have a place
Arro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.