Caseih 9190, Steiger kp 525, Versatile 1156 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Caseih 9190, Steiger kp 525, Versatile 1156

These tractors were produced in very limited numbers for only a few years. Im not sure if these tractors were ahead of their time or we fell behind in times and now in just the past couple years have they produced tractors that are comparable in horsepower. What was the causes for the demise of these large tractors of the mid eighties. Had they stayed in production our biggest tractors nowadays may well have produced over 1000hp. The 9190 produced over 450dbhp and that wasn't achieved again for almost 20 years.
D&M Farms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

The economy killed them tough times in farming mainly high interest rates and lots of drought. farmers didnt wanna buy huge tractors larger than most implememts needed when interest rates where 18%. If interest rates where 18% today im sure alot more basic 375 hp versatiles would sell than steiger 600 s or 9560r jd s.
alfred123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I believe they only made those tractors in lots. You had to put your money on the table, (30% I think?) then when enough were sold they would produce that lot. Didn't go over well in tough times. They were a heck of a tractor. Those 1150 cummins could lug all day long. Same as the old 1150's. they were so ahead of their time we are just getting caught up now.
westman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&M Farms View Post
These tractors were produced in very limited numbers for only a few years. Im not sure if these tractors were ahead of their time or we fell behind in times and now in just the past couple years have they produced tractors that are comparable in horsepower. What was the causes for the demise of these large tractors of the mid eighties. Had they stayed in production our biggest tractors nowadays may well have produced over 1000hp. The 9190 produced over 450dbhp and that wasn't achieved again for almost 20 years.
I'd assume if being the biggest was the way to go everyone would run a big engine cat MT wheeled or track.

It seems the 600hp realm may be the most utilised power range at this point. Big Bud's successful model was the 525/50 (family of those other tractors you mentioned).

The only real 1000hp 4wd made was used for deep plowing, not dragging a 60-80' seeder or field cultivator. They essentially wanted a wheeled dozer for speed.

At this point I think it mechanically/physically able what you see is good as its gonna get...unless there is a verifiable revolution on the horizon. I doubt it.

We all know about the 950 Bud and it was sold back. Was it just not efficient enough to pen out? Obviously not.

Maybe the majors could do it better? Doubtful!

Besides everyone knows a large MFWD row crop IVT ILS can run circles around those dinosaurs.

Last edited by bigbudluvr; 04-16-2013 at 11:30 PM.
bigbudluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

The arrival of chem fallow meant the 80 foot cultivator wasn't necessary anymore and air seeders took until recently to get to that size.
quappelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default 1156

I run a 1991 1156 which is the last year built. I love the tractor, it pulls like a train. It will easily out pull my 9880 versatile. We pull a 60' concord air drill, 62' Wilrich cultivator, and a 9 shank brillion disk ripper. I think it was just the farm economy and aftermath of the 80's that killed the first generation of big girls. To this day I think the 1150 cummins is one great engine and one of the most fuel efficient as far as hp goes. My 1156 uses quite a bit less fuel per job as my 9880 does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (213.0 KB, 119 views)
1156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

The truckin company I drove for still had a couple of old Kennys with 1150s in them. They left the newer cats and cummins in their dust. I think they would be more expensive to rebuild if rebuildable. It would be interesting to see a new QSX19 in a Tiger or 1156. Would be nice just to have the money too
wheely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

I believe Glinz's Baby 525 Big Bud had a QSK19 rated at 730hp.

Those tractors are still viable because you can't argue with a fat torque band in 1970 or 2013 or 100 years from now.
bigbudluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nice tractors 1156 whats the hp of the 1156 470?
jwsrules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

I used to drive a KP 525 Tiger. The motor went down at about 500 hours and they had it rebuilt to 600+ horse. Dynoed at 646. We always pulled an 11-6 Flex-king XL sweep plow with it. On a good day, if you didn't horse around, you could cover a section compared to an 8960 deere with 9-6's that would cover about 320 acres. It would burn about 28 gallons of fuel per hour, but you had something done to show for it. Those 30.5 x 32's full of calcium never dreamed of power hopping and the R-12 air conditioning always stayed cold. All done without auto-steer or cell phones or satellites. Just AM talk radio and a worn out Motely Crue cassette. Makes you wonder where the world went wrong in this day of "play station" farming. I chuckle when I see the new 600hp class tractors with cast hanging off every corner. Why not put the steel in the machine? Would be sweet to see Big Bud get back in the tractor business and show everybody how it's done.
cornchopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.