The Combine Forum banner

Teach me how to start a tractor

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  greenpower 
#1 ·
What is everyone's opinion's on starting machinery. When we first started running Greenstar gear about 6 or 7 years ago the techs told us NOT to pause when cranking as controllers can loose communication.

Is this the case? or is it best to turn key to on position briefly then crank?

Sounds like a dumb thread but everyone I talk to has a different opinion.
Cheers

Will

#9 · (Edited)
You need to start your tractor as per the operators manual tells you to. Any John Deere controller works on a can bus system and operates on 5 volts. When you crank a engine over your volt drop is usually around 1-1.5 volts. Now you pull a lot of amps but your controllers don't care about that they have to see anything over 10.5 volts to start.

Those TECHS were wrong.

Its really hard on fuel pumps when you don't let the fuel build up pressure in the system before it starts. Creates a small cavitation in the injection pump and leads to premature failure.

#13 · (Edited)
Interesting! I've never heard of this, but have always found my 8R to need a lot more cranking to start than the previous deere engines, and have just passed it off as a 'feature' of the 9L engines.

After reading this thread, I tried starting it with a couple seconds of key on before cranking, and it definitely starts with less cranking. Funny thing was that the display was showing 0 hours, and thought that it had linkage as well. Shutting it down and restarting the engine managed to get the display working as it should. Perhaps I'd better have another look at the manual......

#14 ·
My 9460R's performance monitor has a message come up when the key is initially turned on to "wait" until it boots up completely, then go to start. At least I assume it is booting up, it may be pumpin fuel up too, as you can hear some unseen gizmos whirring, coming to life. These new tractors have way too many quirky electronics. They are not like the old "hit the key and go" technology. Someday, they may bet it figured out and then "hit the key and go" will be a new thing, when it really is an old thing before they screwed it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.