The Combine Forum banner

Ford 9680 hydraulic problem

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  hoyle63 
#1 ·
Anyone know how to fix a hydraulic spool on a 9680 ? One lever will only pull back and I cannot push it forward. I unhooked the cable to the spool and it moves freely both ways, so I am sure it is in the spool. What could be causing this ?

#4 ·
I think if you loosen the allen bolts on the end cap on the spool quite a bit to let the sealing surfaces between the two release the trapped oil in the cap you can get it going again. I had it happen once when a spool hasn't been used after a lot of running time.

I believe a tiny amount of oil can bypass into the cap and leave no room for the spool to shift that direction. You may not have to rebuild the spool, just let that bit of oil out and re-tighten the bolts.

#6 ·
If you're just going to let the oil out of the cap you can do it in place. You would only need a T handle allen wrench or a hex drive on a socket extension. You have to let the cap back about 3/8 of an inch if I recall, since the caps O-ring is on a flange on the cap that fits in a bore. Just move the lever while it's loose to purge the fluid. Engine stopped.

If its locking up while in use, then as suggested, it likely needs more work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.