E-sets VS ProMAX 40 disks - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default E-sets VS ProMAX 40 disks

We aren't happy with our stands after emergence. We have a JD 1790 CCS. We get a lot of skips and doubles. Just wondering if anyone has either of these two styles of disks and which ones are better. ProMAX 40 disks are almost half the price. If anyone knows of any other issues we could be having let me know. Thanks.
staples234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: E-sets VS ProMAX 40 disks

I'm eager for some replies on this to. I'm trying to decide which system to go with on my 1750. With the ProMax Deere recommends a heavy duty hub and that evens the price somewhat. My dealer wants $190/row to install the ProMax system including hub and clear seed tubes. I could save some doing it myself but the ProMax has to be calibrated on a test stand while the E-Set does not. The E-Set system would cost $125/row including seed tube. From my research online the E-Set system seems to be the preferred system because it addresses issues the ProMax doesn't. Either system is a huge improvement over the stock vacuum system tho if you have inconsistent seed sizes or plant on hilly ground.
mnscott is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

The esets will grind some corn on occasion in the bottom of the boxes due to design, when I worked for Deere had a customer trade his esets for a set of ProMax40 due to the same results using fewer parts (just basically a disk change) and only having to run slightly higher vacuum.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have the E sets and they are ok. They are much better than the deere factory plates. The problem is not so much with the plates, but the inability to see the actual seed drops and the fussiness of accurate vacuum settings. Forget the actual vacuum gage reading, it is only for crude initial setting. The fine tuning needs to be done based on actual field conditions.

But remember, no seed spacing discussion is complete without considering the field roughness, planting speed, and side slope.

If you are truly concerned about seed spacing, you need to go to a system with real time seed drop monitoring. Big John Manufacturing has a monitor that will allow you to see the individual seed drops. The Big John is not compatable with with deere's can buss set-up.

Can buss, what a joke! What moron engineer decided to use a 5 hz carrier to send a 20 hz signal?
bent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

we put the e-sets in 2 years ago our spacing was horible with the standard disk and we always had our dealer check every veriety of corn we used each year with both the small and large seed disks to see what vacuum to run but still a bad stand with the e-sets we can run one vacuum for any size seed and have perfect seed placement. oh its a 1780 24 row 20" and we plant at 5.5 mph on flat ground no hills
curt1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

we have 2 planters one with e sets and one just regular plates this year we couldnt tell the difference between who planted what the e sets still had a considerable amount of skips but not doubles and our neighbor had the pro max and his spacing was almost perfect imo
adk247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Have ran Esets for the past three seasons and the last two of which we've ran a 20/20 monitor with them. If we have a row drop below 99% singulations something is wrong, usually we can hold at 99.5% or better. Esets were a big improvement over the factory disks and when we bought a newer planter last year we ordered new esets before we even had all the paper work signed. Since we've gone to Esets we've had the best stands of corn we've ever had and looking at other planters in the area I don't see anything outperforming the esets.
anteater6788 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Esets and a 20/20 monitor is the best investment I've put on my planter. Last year the 20/20 was showing a skip in one row and the JD monitor showed nothing was wrong, went back to the plate and their was a chip stuck in one of the holes. I couldve planted quite a few acres before I would have discovered a plugged hole! The esets gave me an excellent stand, I have never ran Pro40 but the esets worked great for me.
farmertime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ran the e-sets in 08 they worked as advertised, huge improvement over factory. Brother bought a new planter in 09 and put 40cell on against my protest but after running them I would say they are pretty much even with the only advantage of either one going to the 40 cell when you plant corn at 35,000+ population. With the e-sets I had to go much slower to do a good job.Either one is a good choice, just don't forget the 20/20. That monitor is amazing
jd9630 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

e set compares their tests only to standard, and do your homework cause if you run into big seed or want to run beans with the e set it takes a little work to switch back to another disk. I have run both and have seen both with high acres and the promax didn't have the wear that the eset had because of the knocker distorting the hole(metal against plastic) . You can put promax in early units ask dealer to check dtac and there is a way, have to modify wear ring on unit. gl ps with the seed these days they are both a shout better than the standard disk lol
jdtech34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.