S.I. Belt Meters - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default S.I. Belt Meters

Has anyone used S.I. Belt Meters on there grain drill, if so how well do they work?
8400and726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: S.I. Belt Meters

We have them on our CIH 5400 soybean drill. They are very accurate...the population you set them for in soybeans is what you"ll get. It takes the guesswork out of it...you can plant with confidence. We've never tried them in wheat but they're not recommended for that anyway.
cliffcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info cliffcutter. We have a John Deere 455 and wondered if they would make a big diffrence or atleast pay for themselves if we were to put them on. Cost would be $4,000.
8400and726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

i just bought a jd 515 pair of drills on a 530 carrier,it has the si meters,ive never ran them before so im anxious to see how accurate they are.anyone ever ran them 515 drills?
farmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

We had a Great Plains 1500 drill that we put the SI Belt meters on and it helped considerably regarding singulation and hitting target population; especially when the seed sizes were changing or seed coating changed. The belts singulate well and we had less cracked seeds too. Our drill had the flexible tubes between the meter and opener, so by the time the "metered" seed left the belt it would bounce around in the tube and spacing accuracy was somewhat compromised, but the population control was much better than the original fluted meters. We later traded the drill for a Kinze interplant planter, but if I was going to use a drill for planting soybeans, I would install the belt meters again. If there is one thing I would recommend...make sure to use graphite with your seed to achieve best results. Good luck.
planterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I run belts on a 750 deere, they help get u a more consistant pop, but as planterman says seed size and seed treatment play a big roll in it. It still is'nt like a planter, set you'r pop and go, if u have 3 different #'s of beans and 3 different seed sizes you'll need to correct your pop 3 different times. It was alot of trial and air, but i have wrote down what pop i get at each sproket for that seed size so now i can set it accordingly and go,and always be real close.This drill had the belts on it when we bought it on action, thought they were gonna be the answer, I was expecting a little better results I guess but they do make it alot easyer to run. I can't remember the price per row on them now, was thinking they were pricey? I still prefere the drill over twin row planter for beans. Not may people in our are run them any more though because they could'nt control there pop, from day 1 we spent the money and put a monitor on ours with just 4 sensers out the 24 (15' 7.5"space) and got along great. And now with the belts and the monitor on the new drill (20' 10"space) its easier yet. If you'r going to keep the drill I would buy em, if your thinkin about interplant, I would'nt spend the money just to say u tried them.
barlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks planterman and barlow ,good info,thats why we bought this drill ,for the belt meters,mainly because of the missed pop we been getting with our jd 750 flute cups,we also run a greatplains solid stand and its about the same way ,just a controlled spill,so im looking forward to running the belts this spring,still be some learnin to do but sounds like they are better once you figure them out. thanks again.
farmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.