Soybean Planting - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Soybean Planting

I don't grow soybeans so I know nothing about it. Some of you no-till soybean guys help me out. When you plant soybeans, do you apply fertilizer while planting? What kind of fertilizer? Do you have to apply fertilizer again later? What do you use for weed control and when do you apply it? I grow pinto beans and I'm wondering if I could no-till pinto beans in a similar way you guys do soybeans. Thanks for any info!
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Blogger

Default Re: Soybean Planting

We don't put down any fertilizer when we plant our beans. We put all ours down for the corn the previous year. Some years we no-till some years we plant our beans conventionaly If we no-till we give the field a shot of roundup to get rid of any winter annuals. Then later in the season we will go through and use roundup once or twice more depending on conditions.
orangeandslverman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
dan

we grow all RR soys so we do a burndown before planting and then usually have to come back thru a second time. This year im gonna try growing some in 7.5" instead of 15s to see if i can get by without that second shot of roundup.
i also plan on putting down 3 gal/acre of 6-24-6 as a trial to see if it makes any difference. have heard of some guys broadcasting some potash before they plant but we've never bothered. we wanted to no-till some whites this year but were told that they wouldn't grow tall enough to clip. would pintos be the same?
dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, pintos would be similar to whites in that they don't get half as tall as soys. Nobody around here direct cuts dry edible beans, it's all windrowed with a one step cutter/windrower and then combined about 7-10 days later. We dammer dike all our row crop pivot ground so that would be a tillage pass through the field. I guess that technically isn't no-till but minimum till. Just not sure how to make it all work with putting on fertilizer on and putting chemical on as well. Standard practice here is to incorporate a pre-plant herbicide with a field cultivator but I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce the tillage in our bean fields. As far as I know, there are no roundup ready edible bean varieties. Anybody plant soys directly into short wheat stubble?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

We no-till directly into corn stalks without shredding them or anything. We put on some nitrogen through the pivot at flowering and then another shot at pod set. I heard that putting 5# of manganese on when you spray roundup will counteract the round up gene, boosting yields a few bushels. Has anyone tried this?
redsteel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

tw35, how do you apply your fertilizer? Is it banded at planting? Thanks!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

We no-till almost all of our beans and we put down 11-52-90 for fertilizer before we plant.
tw35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

we spread it dry in the fall or spring before we plant.
tw35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.