flood irrigation on soybeans - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default flood irrigation on soybeans

We are looking for a new tool to run furrows in soybeans/corn. We currently plant our corn flat and plow furrows in afterward with a modified cultivator. We use a 16 row drawn planter, 16 row cultivator. We plant a 16 row end row on the head end at 45000 population and plow furrows through all the way up to the poly pipe. We move the poly pipe off our corn and onto our early bean ground in early august. We have no furrows for the water to follow in the bean ground.

I am looking for a good tool to plow furrows before we plant. We are on 30" centers. I have seen a tool that has a big roller on the back to create a flat seedbed. Will this tool work in heavier soils? Is it necessary to plow a furrow every 30"? I feel it would work better to only plow one every 60" so water cannot jump from furrow to furrow. Any ideas or experiences would be appreciated.
binbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: flood irrigation on soybeans

Try an Eddins or Brandt (not Brent) bedder roller. We havent had any problems with pulling beds in heavy soils. My neighbor took his 12 row 30" pulled up every other shank, slung out his wheat and pulled up beds.
farmerhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

We used to do a lot of furrow irrigation. Our furrower was made by the Hamby company and it used angled discs to build the beds. It was set on 60 inch centers and matched up with the 12R30 planter. As I recall it did a really nice job. I wish I had some pictures of it, but we got rid of it several years ago.

We always used a PTO-powered rod weeder right before planting to kill any weeds and level the bed. It also had lister shovels ahead of the rod to clean out the furrows. If necessary, we used a ring packer (which we still have, btw) to firm things up. It took a lot of trips through the field, so you can understand why the switch to center pivot irrigation was so rapid.

All of the furrow irrigation in my area was on done 60in centers. The wide beds were necessary because we also planted wheat on them. Beans should do just fine on them.

I just did some quick research and saw that Bigham Brothers makes a disc furrower very similar to what we used to have.
http://www.bighambrothers.com/discbedr.htm

Kevin
okpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think Eddins is out of business. Brandt is used around here now. As the luck goes, we got the one that is obsolete all of a sudden. Our has the plows and rollers like this:
http://www.brandtmfg.com/farm_produc...r_rollers.aspx

On some heavy ground we bedded on 60 inches and used the planter. You will run water down the furrow and it will soak over those couple inches to where the beans are. If you a drilling beans, you have to know how far your ground will soak across. if you drill and get too wide, the beans in the middle of the ridge will not get moisture.

The only problem with them is they want you to bed when it is dry so the scraper keeps the roller clean. It's never dry when we bed, so keeping the roller clean is the main trouble with them.

I've never used one, but been very interested in one of those disc bedders like okpanhandle mentioned, those should work better on the really mucky clay ground.
jeremy3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 05:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

hey guys, we grow irrigated soybeans here in australia, grew them on 40" (1m) furrows works great but now we grow them on 90" beds. If you pull the furrows up right at the start you wont get crossover, when we irrigate we put water down every second furrow so it fills the profile bettter and the waters doesnt run down so quickly.

In australia a company in QLD manufacture rowcrop grear but too expensive so we bought everything but the toolbars - works great and tough, check these machines out

http://www.gessner.com.au/products3....w+Crop+Systems

camel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Cool pics, Camel. Your soils look like the Richfield series we farm. Do you guys get your water from a district irrigation system, or is it ground water? I'm glad I never had to deal with canals and siphon tubes; looks like a lot of bending over. Although, a siphon tube looks a lot lighter than a 30ft joint of PVC full of sand. I grew up with gated pipe. Learned to drive pulling a pipe trailer: drive 30 feet, stop, repeat. Also, do you reclaim runoff in tailwater ponds or anything?

Kevin
okpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, how long of a run are you watering? From the picture it seems like a long way! Do you have any trouble with soil cracking open?
binbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Our longest rows are 900 meters long, our soil is brilliant self mulching. Yeah our soil do crack open, we find though it doesnt loose its structure and it has a high water holding capacity... we like to stress all our crops a bit to put on the flowers then we irrigate. It may get stressed again on the second irrigation again to put on flowers or we irrigated a bit early so we dont losse flowers. We have underground water we dont like touching just due to the cost off pumping it up.. we are connected to a river 2km away to which we can pump from, even in drought times it still occasionly flows has saved us many times.

Cheers Camel
camel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hawkins makes a very good hiller (ridger). We use an orthman cultivator that has wings that can be put down with 1 bolt to deflect the dirt and make a ridge. This works very good, we ridge-till. You can go 7-9 mph with the orthman.
redsteel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.