Planting Corn Rows-East & West or North & South? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Planting Corn Rows-East & West or North & South?

What do you guys think about direction of planting in relation to how much sunlight a corn plant captures and possibly if that changes at a certain latitude on the map? Any studies anybody has seen? Thanks
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I remember seeing reading a study about this back when I was in Ag school over a decade ago. I can't remember what crops were tested but there was a slight yield advantage to planting North/South. Sorry I don't remember the % yield gains over East/West, but they were in the single digits.

If not for other factors, I would plant my whole farm N/S. Unfortunately topography, field shape, and in my case, oilfield access roads usually dictate a planting direction other than N/S.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default planting direction

I remember an reading about this years ago also. Don't remember everything but it said by planting n-s the soil between rows would only be exposed to the sun for a short time around noon. This resulted in less weed growth and lower evaporation. This was in cereal crops I think, row crops might not matter as much? Not sure if there were any other advantages/disadvantages but since reading this I always try(depending on field) to plant n-s.
havin'funfarming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinapisalba View Post

If not for other factors, I would plant my whole farm N/S. Unfortunately, and in my case, oilfield access roads usually dictate a planting direction other than N/S.
Soo, what direction would this be....straight to the bank perhaps
SKfarming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have to agree with the N/S seeding direction, the ground gets shaded more hours per day=more sunlight on plants. Also gets me thinking, sun hitting ground at noon would lose some intense sunlight. I do remember seeing some study on this, and it did favour N/S seeding.
SKfarming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.