The Combine Forum banner

What knock on sweeps are these?

11K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Hillbillyreefer 
#1 ·
Just bought a cultivator and it needs new sweeps. Not sure who makes these? There's no name that I can see. I might just put bolt on ones as a bunch of the bolts holding the brackets are loose anyways and with the use it might get would be changing sweeps once every year or two. Any thoughts? It looks like only the wedge action is holding these on. Do they work loose?

Sorry for all the questions just never had anything to do with knock ons before.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
They are mckay knockons. Old style i think. New style looks more like bourgalt knockons. Ya they just wedge on. I dont recall losing any but it may happen if you pull up a rock or something. There should be a number under the "wedge"part of the actual shovel. Not sure if you can still buy the wedges but you can still get shovels from gaber and they are soooo much easier to change than bolts!

#17 ·
I normally despise "seat" time but I'm seeding down a bunch of alfalfa and I can't stand my limiting factor on cutting, baling or picking bales to be a rough field. I'll be making 9 passes a year over it so I'd rather spend some extra time now so I don't feel like a James Bond martini later.

This ground hasn't been worked for the last 9-30 years so it has a fair bit of "character"

#7 ·
Pretty sure those are McKay. Have ran that style on a 52' Degelman Quad 5 cultivator for years and years. Makes changing sweeps so much nicer. Especially back in the day when we cultivated everything ahead of the Case 8500 air seeder. Can't say I've ever had any work loose. Just pound them on and the action of the shank going through the dirt I'm sure helps keep them on too.

#8 · (Edited)
They are McKay or a clone. They are an older style. I have several new ones still kicking as used to have them on my 48 foot 4700 IH Vibra tiller, because they were supposed to be easy to change and there are so many shanks on that unit.

I quite using them for two reasons. First if you didn't knock them on hard enough, they fall off. Secondly, if you knock them on hard, then when it gets cold in the winter, they split at the wedge and fall off on their own right where it's parked, or within a few feet of use if you didn't notice earlier.

I can look and see what the brand names are on the ones I have. I used to buy them at Peavy Mart. I'll try to remember and get back ASAP.

I'll grab a pic of a split one if I find one with the new ones. I know I have more than a few of those around too.

Not sure if it played a part, but I do have rocks.

#20 ·
Here's you pics Dan. As for the number shown on the new shovel, the last two digits identify width in inches. The one pictured is 11 inches which is what I used with 8.75 spacings. These be a few years old, so maybe that has changed. They are called Nok-On and are built by McKay/Empire. I always found Peavey Mart good place to buy when they would have them on sale.

Welcome to McKay Empire

Also some pics of what they look like after they split when it gets 40 below. I got tired of having half a dozen or more each spring laying on the ground in two pieces or that would be scattered around the field on the first round in the spring. Got to taking a hammer and giving each one a wack on the front each spring as it's not always easy to see if one is cracked. And if you don't notice right away you've lost one, you end up wearing the wedge clip and then it's buggered as well. Finally had enough and went back to bolted ones, which isn't so bad as I don't use the machine as much as before so they seem to last a lot longer:54:

Attachments

#23 ·
Hi guys.

Well to everyone who suggested McKay. You were right. Just got them all installed the other week and it's bothering me that after I pound them on good all it takes is one whack and they come off. Is this right or am I going to be walking the first round of the field on a scavenger hunt for my new sweeps? Doesn't seem to matter if it's a new or old clip. Makes me think it'll be fine but I figured I might just double check.

Is this the nature of the beast?

Thanks.

#24 ·
I've never used that style but with any knock on's I've ever installed I go out to the field and sink it in deep for a short stretch to seat them better. For some reason a hammer alone can't seem to do the job.

I hope you don't have to travel too far to the field. Freshly installed knock on's are known to fall off on the road.

#25 ·
Dan,

I used to use a short handled small sledge hammer to knock them on. I found having something with a bit of weight behind it did a better job of driving them home. With that said, main reason I used that heavier hammer was because of the vibration and movement of the shank when the hammer made contact, thus some of the blow was being literally absorbed. As I mentioned earlier, if you drive them on too hard and far, once she gets cold next winter, you will know exactly what I am talking about regarding them splitting where they wrap around the wedge. With everything clean and wire brushed on used wedges, I would give it two wallops with the hammer. Giiven you are laying on your side, well I have to on mine, and you can't get a decent swing, again on mine so bloody many shanks or set of wheels in the way.

What I would also do, was after I had done my two swats, I would give the shank a shot from the side above the shovel, least then if it was still loose it would fall off right then and there. I too have lost some the first few rounds in the field. Luckily never found one in a tire...yet lol. Like anything, usually in a year or two the harrows flip them on top and you find them again lol.

#27 ·
They'll be fine. I ran them on my airseeder for many years. I never "sunk it in the ground" either and rarely lost any. As far as them being to tight and cracking along the fold its only happened to me once when i left the cultivator sit on the ground over winter and it froze down in spring and when i went to lift it out of the ice some of them stayed behind.

#29 ·
I've endorsed McKay knock on even defended the POS, no more.

DO NOT BUY THESE POS. IN 70 acres I lost 26 out of 41 of these POS. I CHANGED SWEEPS THIS AFTERNOON. Even got down the road and didn't lose any, I didn't trip out for at least 30 acres (I've been using this crap for years) so I have some experience with the garbage.

McKay Empire has Lost my business. Enjoy the $1500 worth of manure I bought last week, it's the last from me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.