1240 Case Ih planter for canola in Central Alberta 2011 crop year! - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

please post some pic's after germ, so we can see how it looks.
thanks Kurt.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudyou2 View Post
We bought a 1240 Case Planter today togeather with my brother in law to seed canola and silage corn.
What do you hope to gain by seeding canola with this?
I can see corn, but...
Any independent research to backup what appears to be a fairly large leap of faith?

Don
Don Boles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

We have bought a 1240 with pneumatic down preasure (60 psi sounds right or not?)and what to gain????
$30 dollars on less seed in the ground per acre (5lbs to 2lbs/ac) and same or better yields. 1/2 inch depth on every seed and 90 % germ or better.
9 plants per linear foot.
Canola is seeded in south parts of Alberta on 22 inch rows and all the canola seed companys are all seeding with row crop planters.
(Dow AgroSciences, Monsanto, Pioneer and Bayer CropScience)
15 inch is not much more than 12 inch which we know works well with poor placement how could this not work.
The way canola seed prices are going this might look not a bad idea.
Some are seeding only 1 lb/acre.
Now more heads are spinning!!
http://www.beyondagronomy.com/newsletter/20_7_2010.htm
Darren

Last edited by dudyou2; 04-08-2011 at 02:47 AM.
dudyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

I plant my canola on 15'' with a JD 1890 drill, I don't have residue managers at this stage but depth control is brilliant I just don't have the seed spacing that you will get from a planter.
I am very interested to see how it goes, we plant 2 to 2.5kg/ha depending on amount of straw we are going into. A fair bit this year will be on legume stubble at the lower rate.
Don't be afraid of wide rows I know plenty of guys using 20'' especially in lower rainfall areas. I have to be careful of hair pinning or 15'' soon becomes 30+ but with your residue managers your stand should be fantastic.

I would love to plant everything with a machine that meters each row individually then I could have auto shut off on every row.
All the best. Russell
rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

planting canola works beautifully. I planted all my Canola last year with a CCS JD. The one and only problem is fertilizer placement. It's hot to get enough Phosphate down as liquid and it's expensive. Totally tubular helps with that , moving the phose under the seed further. And the N,S and K has to go down another way. The first thing you realize when you see it emerge is that you were wasting a lot of seed with an air seeder. Even at 2 pounds on a 20 inch row the seedlings are very close to each other and the rows close up only about two days after the ten inch rows from my air seeder. It works great and will yield well , have less disease but the fertilizer issues are tough without spending a bunch more money.
wetfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Oh and the other thing you realize is that the companies selling Canola seed for huge dollars , getting into the Corn neighborhood in cost, aren't providing us with a very good product. The size is extremely inconsistent as is evidenced by the fact that the size of the hole in the plate is small for some seed, and big for others (also a lot is too small for good vigor) and it is quite often too dry as well and even with the gentle handling of a planter can come apart from the treatment before it gets in the ground. We are being hosed on Canola seed in my opinion. The quality is not there to back the high price they charge for it. They are definitely not cleaning it hard enough to size it up. I only grow Invigor but have looked at some other samples and they seemed similar.
wetfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

I will be planting some canola (I knuckled under with all the moisture and the threat of a cool year) on 15 inch spacing this year. Was at Kirchner the other day and asked about their Monosems. Very interesting machines, and the premier small seed planter the way it sounds.

dudyou2, how are you applying your fertilizer? I see you have a cart -are you putting disc openers on the thing for fertilizer? Which closing system did you get on the planter?

I think the latest planters' seed tubes have been developed for 5.5 mph seed drop, so 6mph with canola is probably not a big deal at all.

Diverse crop rotation, increased residue retention and minimized tillage will increase yield and crop health more than anything we can spray or spread at litres or pounds per acre.

http://andgronomy.blogspot.ca/
kirschenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

We think we might drop the starter fertilizer behind the trash cleaner as we hope the opener will split the fertilizer and cover it for the most part. We think droping it before the closing wheels, after the opener will cause seed burn? What do you think? We want the phosphate with in reach of the plant. Do we need dry fertilizer openers??? We have mostly sandy loam so we hope the standard closeing wheels should work.
Darren

Last edited by dudyou2; 04-09-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

What is you closing system going to be like? Spiked wheels? If so, they should till some fertilizer in quite well. The problem is to keep the P close enough to the seed, but keep the N far enough away that there isn't burn.

Might be just fine in a wet year, however. What are you going to do for the rest of your fertility? Saw that this is just for starter.

Diverse crop rotation, increased residue retention and minimized tillage will increase yield and crop health more than anything we can spray or spread at litres or pounds per acre.

http://andgronomy.blogspot.ca/
kirschenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #20 (permalink)

We put down fines with a floater this fall and hope to put nh3 down before the planter with our nh3 rig. We will try to build a hitch behind the planter for the 2320 tank or we will see if we can put a TBT in front of the planter and build the hydro pump on the cart or tractor. We want the planter on the yard before we start building something that will work.

Talk to someone in southren Alberta Planting Canola with a case 1200 early riser for 7 years!!!! He says you only have to clean the seed discs every 1000 acres. Other than that is works great. He will make the discs for us with 130 something holes so we can seed at 6 mph. He also will come out and help us set populations and get us going! Sounds good to me. He thinks we are on the right track with this.
Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.