The Combine Forum banner

2340 Fan Speed

5K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  wheatwhacker 
#1 ·
I am asking this question for my neighbor. He just purchased a nice 2340 cart and 5000 drill it is double shoot with hydralic meters on it. He has been having a heck of a time plugging the seed manifolds and lines under the cart. He is seeding wheat at 120 lbs/acre and putting down about 70 lbs/acre of 11-52. Anything under 5000 fan speed it plugs and that is way higher than his book says to run it at for the material he is putting through it. I looked at my 2320 book and 5000 rpm would not be out of the realm of reason for the material he is putting through it. I thought I would throw it out for you 2340 gurus to ponder. Is 5000 to much or is it good to go at that? He has called me at least 10 times over the last couple days trying to get the drill figured out and he really does not have that much hair left he can pull out.

#2 ·
My first thought is where are the baffles set that deflect the air blast past the meters? If they were closed up choking the airflow it may lead to plugging. Been awhile since I had that style of cart so I don't remember the specifics but on the new ones you can feel where closed is and it's not always as the decal indicates. 5000 RPM should be lots.

#6 ·
Is there a possibility he has miscalculated and has it set to put far more product through the seed runs, using the wrong roller for example and setting a speed. Remember also that a roller has the plastic ring on it telling what coarseness the meter is but someone could always have goofed.

But lets say he did get that all right, why not try the hose trick according to the book by pulling off a fert run and seed run hose at the outer frame and tie them facing up, then drive along with it in the ground seeding and a person on a quad observing how high each product is flying out, that might tell right away if the wheat just isn't getting the air volume that it requires and the fert is flying sky high.

#7 ·
Good call Northern Farmer he was seeding close to 5 bu/ac with the fine roller. He is going to try the extra fine roller and see what happens. We only seed canola with ours so we only use the extra fine roller what have you guys been using for a roller for wheat?

#11 ·
he was seeding close to 5 bu/ac with the fine roller. He is going to try the extra fine roller and see what happens.
That thing must have been really turning! I seed wheat with the coarse roller and put 11-52 down with the fine roller, both turn about 37 RPM. Extra fine would be too small for wheat I think.

Glad it is figured out.

#8 ·
Our current unit ( Case IH colors ) but would be the 4350 tank and using all 8 runs. We use the fine roller for wheat and seed up to 2 bushels as an example with that no problem and with fert its a phos blend so up to about 100 lb per acre. There is something not set right or working properly as his roller must be flying to pump that much through. I don't have any of the meter RPM's written down and of course it all changes according to the ground speed to get the same rate but that is what I would say he check and someone else on here might have a better handle on what it should be ball park for the ground speed and seeding tool width.

I'd say also that if he is unsure, to check that the wear plate is there in the bottom gate portion of the box and for sure check his roller to ensure that it is actually a fine roller and not just the end tag on it that tells him it is, even if that means going to the dealer with it or getting one segment of a fine roller and comparing. Ether its flying way too fast, there is a funky clearance issue, its the wrong roller ( a course for example but marked fine ) or he did something wrong in setting the unit for rate and that would go back to the roller going way too fast.

Last year we had an issue right off the start, turned out to be a speed sensor on one metering box that quit and so the roller sped up to as fast as it could go trying desperately to sense it was moving and the warning screen coming up that it was not able to meet the set rate but in reality it would be pumping massive amounts of product out.

#10 ·
On the first field we owned our unit, we discovered the alternator had died so a low voltage screen was coming up ( our unit uses a Pro 600 so it may be different then his ) so I checked and sure enough the alternator needed to be swapped. I did that and then we had one roller start to do crazy things, was all over the map with going too fast, then come to a stop for a second, then go racing off again and that was no good at all. I tried changing the sensor for that meter roll and no change so we got some advice from someone who had used a cart like this and when I said I had put a new alternator on and now was getting good voltage out of it he said I bet that voltage change caused the system to become too sensitive. So he said to lower the "tune" number and we did and that solved the problem. I believe the tune number had been 60 and we set it all the way down to 10 . From my understanding that tune number causes the unit to be more or less sensitive to speed fluctuations and a lower number makes the roller more lazy in how it responds but also doesn't chase itself. I'm not saying that is his problem but if the sensor doesn't solve it, to check up to see what the tune number is for each tank meter. Its possible the tech already tried that, but no harm in mentioning this if not.

#13 ·
Just to confirm about the alternator, the battery draining itself with no alternator charging was NOT causing the problem, it was a new alternator that put out good voltage make the system more touchy and having to reset that tune number to a less touchy setting. Tell him to record that number that is currently in the settings for each roller, then play around with that wheat roller if that could be an issue.

#14 ·
I'd also be looking for air leaks. Common places are around where the manifold connects to the rollers, any thing that is blocked off with a cover (they sometimes tear and leak), tank doors at the top, etc. As far as roller issues also make sure the hydraulic filters on each roller are clean. When you calibrate do the rollers turn smoothly? Mark the roller in calibration mode and run it 10 turns. The computer should say 300 targets. Each rotation is 30 targets. If it's an old battery just replace it with a new battery to see if that helps.

#16 ·
They got it working yesterday. The monitor was telling the seed roller to spin to fast. I am not sure what they set in there to achieve the desired results but they did get it. He seeded about 100 acres yesterday so he was really happy until the AC went out of his 976 yesterday when it was 90. Thanks for all the help.

#19 ·
I am asking this question for my neighbor. He just purchased a nice 2340 cart and 5000 drill it is double shoot with hydralic meters on it. He has been having a heck of a time plugging the seed manifolds and lines under the cart. He is seeding wheat at 120 lbs/acre and putting down about 70 lbs/acre of 11-52.
Why is he double shooting at all?
Shouldn't be, not with that combination of product.

#22 ·
I wish it was me asking for myself he got a real clean drill that looks to be well maintained and knowing who he bought if from I am sure it is. He was about ready to sell it cheap there before he got it going. Maybe I should have let him sell it to me cheap lol. Would make a nice update from the 2320 and 5000 I just hooked up tonight to start seeding canola with tomorrow.

I had not thought about his reasoning for double shooting I will have to call and ask tomorrow. My bet is because he just bought the outfit just before springs work and he is just running it as it is set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.