What are guys having success with seeding larger faba beans with? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
What are guys having success with seeding larger faba beans with?

I have a 7300 morris tank and the morris flat manifolds. My snowbird beans which were supposed to be the second smallest beans with snowdrops being the smallest have created grief mainly on the drill. The manifolds can't handle the seed size and jam in there. I decided to change my way of seeding them and had an older cultivator that I put 1 1/4" stainless manifolds on. This set up works great. I hate having to hook and unhook my tank from drill to cultivator and back to drill. I do notice that my Morris 7300 tank sounds like its seeding gravel and the seed flutes really takes a licken. What other design or older tank would handle something like beans easier. I dont need fancy just something that works with out hulling and slipping my clutch occasionally. Opinions ? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:26 AM
crw

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
On your 7300 tank, do you have the meter wheel plates removed?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Yes I do but it still takes plenty of power to turn and replaced bearing and cleaned everything up and had it all spinning freely before seeding them. Stripped the nylon key on a seed flute wheel seeding them. I find ground up bean hulls when i remove the plate underneath where you catch to weigh your sample so I know its having a hard time feeding them through. I thought of maybe covering the top part of the seed flutes exposing only the lower half to the seed compartment because i think they get ground up trying to push the seed out and around against the weight of the seed being forced down., Not 100% sure on this though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Would a older bourgault work for you? I know a couple of guys who seed faba beans with them without much trouble. They just drive slower.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

The 1 1/4" manifolds I have can handle a pile of product without plugging. I know the older bourgaults with the heavy augers can seed gravel and nuts and bolts if you wanted it to. I used an old 138 bourgault years ago and found it was hard on peas. One thing I have not kept up with in farming is drill advancements and what different manufacturers have for design. Likely some drills that can seed anything these days but would break my bank. I had rocks in my seed last year which created so much grief. I traveled 3 hrs to get the seed and wasn't going to make the drive to return them. A worker, unknowingly to the seed guy, spilled some beans and didn't tell anyone and cleaned up his mess stones and all. The seed grower sent me half my money back which we agreed upon at the time and I ended up using a fertilizer spreader to seed them and a disc. 2 passes one with my fert and one with my beans, and all my grief with the rocks it took 3 1/2 days to seed 112 acres. I had stones in my system every where. Manifolds had stones wedged and beans but the worst were the flexi coil side stealth side band boots. The seed in those make some fancy twists and they don't like beans much either. Throw some small stones in there and you are using 2 screwdrivers like tweezers to pluck the stones out. I spent hours doing this and was not impressed to say the least!! Beans are staying in my rotation and want to make this less of a headache with just a cart left in my equation that I can leave behind my old 38' bourgault cultivator that will get the seed in the ground.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I don't know what does work, but Flexicoil 2320/Deere 787 definitely does NOT work. Never again will I try that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

I sold some seed to my buddy with a newer Bourgault cart and drill. He seeded 90 acres with it but plugged runs a fair bit too. He figured about 25 runs blocked on those acres alone. He too is growing a lot more of them this coming year as he was impressed how they look. We havent harvested them yet, but they are one of the few things that survived this years piles of rain. Some plants have 21 pods and some have 4. We had them planted thick as well. Should be a good yield. Where we didn't spray for chocolate spot the plants are dead ripe and were ready to harvest 2 weeks ago. We both left a small check area to see if our $28/acre was worth it. We might have to get the seed sized to remove the large ones I guess to eliminate stress.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Talking

we use a 2012 seed hawk duel shoot seed fert shanks so it doesn't plug put in 2000 to 4000 ac a year of snowbird
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Broad beans.Flexicoil with extra coarse feed roller segments and 1 1/4" secondary hoses . No problems been doing it for 19 years. Seeding rate 125kg/ha. Had some harvesting issues they grew 5' tall and went down flat would only pick up one way in places. Some long stalks left that will have to be dealt with before sowing next crop.All stem, not great yields upto 3 ton Ha finished em last night.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
If it rains put the beans in the fertilizer spreader and disk them in with the fertilizer would work. You would need to roll as well

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page