Best No Till Box Drill? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Best No Till Box Drill?

I'm looking for comparisons of the best no till box drill...

Sunflower
Landoll
Great Plains
Deere
Crustbuster
Any others I forgot...

Will be used to notill some soybeans, feed, wheat, and milo.
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

1590 no dought
-great down pressure
-well built
-good openers
-good dealer support
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Being from Kansas originally, I like the Great Plains, Landoll, then Crustbuster, then Sunflower in that order. There are usually some drills and planters on the Purple Wave auctions , including a Kinze 3600 the one coming up 21 July 2011.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi

Or if you are in a hurry here are some Great Plains on the 29 June auction.
Purple Wave auction listing | Wednesday June 29 Ag Equipment Internet Auction
farmbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

This isn't for me guys, it's for a friend of mine. He is looking at a box drill as the CCS drills are out of the budget for the year and he has a Kabota tractor (130HP) I believe to pull it.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

The JD 1590 can be pulled with 130hp @ 15' width, but those drills are very heavy and if the pulling tractor has any weight disadvantage or perhaps smaller tires, the 2 point hitch model should be considered IMO.

The dolly wheel hitch model has no weight transferred to the tractor and can really be an issue on hills or when traveling on the road. I personally have the dolly wheel hitch model and prefer it, but I have larger, heavier tractors and I like the ability to tow it with anything including a truck.

There are a lot of aftermarket stuff available for the JD. However, one draw back is those long plastic tubes that go from the meter tot he bellows hose at the opener. If it has to climb much of a hill, the front tubes will plug and vice versa.

The JD is the only drill I have actual experience with, so it is the only one that I can really say anything about. However, the neighbor has a GP triple disk, and I had hired him to do some planting with it before buying the JD. As with anything, there are areas of build quality that need addressed, but it really did do a nice job. In heavy residue it has less hairpinning issues than the JD.

Sunflower has a dealer network that has some local availability, but they have not seemed to make their way into my area. That may be a dealer thing more than a brand thing, but the openers on the Sunflower sure look heavy and well built.
doorknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

There are a lot of Sunflower drills around here, most of them seem to be holding up pretty well. Older ones that turn up at auctions still seem like good units. We're (hopefully) in the market for a new drill, and Great Plains is first on the list. We think having coulters in front of the openers will be a benefit in heavier residue.
okpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Here is a direct comparison for you:

Exapta Solutions :: Drill Design Comparisons

The JD 50/60/90-series really is designed for no-till, with the depth-gauging, seed firming, and furrow closing functions separated. The other drills are still tillage-era designs, perhaps with heavy construction, heavier down-pressure springs, and/or coulters to make them halfway functional in no-till conditions.

respectfully,
Matt Hagny,
agronomy consultant since '94.
founder/Pres. of Exapta Solutions ('99)
matt hagny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.