Harrows - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Harrows

Might be a dumb question but what's the difference between heavy harrows and harrow packers.

Looking for something to go over newly broken land after a disc and also to use in the fall to spread residue.

Would be pulling with a 200hp mfwd
timbruun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Heavy harrows is a large harrow.

Harrow packers is a light to medium harrow that pulls a set of coil packers behind the harrows.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

So would a harrow packer work fine for what I need? Looking at Flexi-Coil System 95 1-3/4" P 30 Heavy Packers
Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

harrow packer would work better the harrows level and the packers would break up the lumps heavy harrow has longer thicker tines its more for straw management
alfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

But the harrow packer works ok fro straw management I assume? Just not as good as heavy harrows. Why the price difference then?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
clb

If you want to spread straw in the fall on stubble then heavy harrows are the way to go. At 200hp you'd be looking at a smaller set of heavy harrows as they require a ton of horsepower to pull and on the stubble you'll need to pull them with some speed. If you're pretty flat then 60' and under would work. Not sure what widths they come in today but I know at 70' you probably wouldn't be able to pull them fast enough to do a good job.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

A heavy harrow as they are called have much longer and larger diameter teeth than the smaller spring tooth harrows. Frames and everything is much heavier too.

A packer harrow bar use regular spring tooth harrows, very similar to mounted harrows on a cultivator. While they do a nice job of leveling loose soil, they are not effective at beating apart sod lumps, nor are they very good for spreading heavy straw.

Adding packers on to the back,well thats pretty self explanatory, and while they will break up some of the dry lumps of soil, they do nothing to sod, other than make it slightly smoother for the next pass. In regular conditions, they also do push in the smaller rocks if the ground is soft enough.
My advice is if you go with a packer bar, if you have rocks make sure you get one that has the harrows then the packers, not the other way around, otherwise all your rocks are on top of the ground. Mine has the P30's, and they do a excellent job and the herringbone pattern left behind certainly does reduce washouts on side hills during downpours till the crop is established.

Not exactly sure what you are referring to when you say "newly broke land", so it makes it a bit difficult to know what kind of work you really want to do with it. I'm guessing you mean tearing up old sod, not actually "breaking" new land as in with stumps and roots.

I'm sure everyone else will tell you differently, because most don't think it's cool to use them anymore, but nothing will break up sod lumps quicker and better than a simple set of 42" diamond harrows. Spring tooth harrows have too much give in them to do a really good job.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

I guess I'm hoping that the harrow packers would work for spreading straw also since the heavy harrows are more than twice the price. Also, the harrow packers I'm looking at are 60' which would work with the tractor I plan on using. I have a 300hp 4wd available but would like to stick with the 200hp mfwd.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sorry I do mean working up old hay/pasture land. Plan on going over with a disc a couple times and going from there.

Looking for something multi purpose that will work for breaking up clumps in sod, leveling and residue management.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have both harrow packers, and heavy harrows. Harrow packers dont do a very good job for spreading straw, and like was stated above will only work so-so on sod. They are fantastic for making a nice field finish after a cultivation. I have an 8630 JD (225 hp) and a 70' harrow packer and it is lots of power even in the hills.

The heavy harrow is what you want for what you are talking about. It does an excellent job on spreading straw, and a decent job breaking apart sod lump. I have done this a couple times. You will have to harrow it a couple or maybe even 3 times to get a good job. My heavy harrow is 50' and when the harrow is set aggressive (for breaking lumps) it is too much for this tractor, I end up pulling with my 480Quad. Spreading straw you make it less aggressive and the 8630 pulls it nice. You want to pull it fast for a good job, 10-12mph.

I have no experience with diamond harrows, so have no clue as to the job they would do for you.

Marcel
directway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.