Which vertical till machine? - The Combine Forum

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Which vertical till machine?

I've been throwing around the idea of a vertical till machine for about the last year. Just wondering what guys have had the best experience with brand wise? I've looked at quite a few different ones but have really no first experience with them. But I've looked at Sunflower, Landoll, Great Plains, Krause, and even Mandako. What have you guys had the best luck with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
I really like my Great Plains turbo till alot but my recommendation is don't buy one with a full weight package, newer ones are better by far but it's unnecessary and hard on the frame.

Have experience with a Mandako and it hasn't been good.

It's going to come down to how much tillage you want to do with it. My turbo till moves nearly no dirt but sizes residue very well and just running an inch deep breaking that seal on wet ground drys it very quickly.
If you want to blacken something up the turbo till isn't for you.

God Bless America
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
What are you hoping to accomplish? What crops are grown and soil type? Location?

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Central Nebraska. Corn/Soybean rotation.
SWFarmService likes this.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
CNH machines are very common here, but this area is also largely traditional tillage as well. To me the CNH ones are more like a glorified high speed disk, not a lot of other types of machines around here to compare to however.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
We run a great plains turbo max. Like swfarm said, the great plains units aren't big on moving dirt. Like the turbo max because you can change the angle of the gangs. When conditions are right it can chop up lodged oat straw into 3.5" pieces. It can be used to fill I ruts, but won't be as good as some of the units with curved disks.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:32 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Have tried Joker, Degelman pro-till and have some experience with Lemkin. I still think all of these are way overpriced and in my operation lack the utility to be used enough to justify purchase. However, between these 3 the Degelman would be the clear winner - design, finish, operation in fields in conditions where think you need something like this(heavy trash, variety of crops), and what I think maintenance issues would be. Caveat to this is just tried Degelman this past Fall so really will not know until this Spring how good a job I think it did. As with most farmer tests there clearly not enough replication to make blanket judgments, but this is what I think works. It would be interesting with Degelman made in Cda how much more attractive(maybe less unreasonable is better) the price may be in the US.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I didn't think the idea of vertical till was to turn much dirt if hardly any at all? If I want to do that I still have a disk I can use. A friend of mine used a Landoll this year and said he liked it but said it pulled hard as ****. But if course he had it in the ground almost to the hubs, he said you have to run it like that to turn the dirt...well I thought with one of those machines you were after just chopping up and sizing trash like some of you have mentioned? I can see moving a little bit of dirt.

But there's a handful of Landolls around me and guys seem to like them. A neighbor has a Great Plains, which speaking of Great Plains what's the difference between a Turbo Till and a Turbo Max? Honestly I kind of like the Sunflower. Very similar to a Landoll but uses a fluted disc instead of a straight edge.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
We use a 40 foot Excalibur seems to work great for us we think it works as a amazing seed prep tool if you have disked the ground as well
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColFarmsB View Post
I didn't think the idea of vertical till was to turn much dirt if hardly any at all? If I want to do that I still have a disk I can use. A friend of mine used a Landoll this year and said he liked it but said it pulled hard as ****. But if course he had it in the ground almost to the hubs, he said you have to run it like that to turn the dirt...well I thought with one of those machines you were after just chopping up and sizing trash like some of you have mentioned? I can see moving a little bit of dirt.

But there's a handful of Landolls around me and guys seem to like them. A neighbor has a Great Plains, which speaking of Great Plains what's the difference between a Turbo Till and a Turbo Max? Honestly I kind of like the Sunflower. Very similar to a Landoll but uses a fluted disc instead of a straight edge.
I've posted something similar to what I'm about to say on another VT thread many moons ago.

Vertical tillage is not a tool. Vertical tillage is a system. Its intent is to lift and fracture the hardpan then level and incorporate residue without creating a horizontal layer. Someone once said "the first tool you need for vertical tillage is a spade, if you have to hunt an hour for your spade you are not ready for vertical tillage".

Your friend was not using his Landoll for what it was designed for. They are a shallow running, high speed unit.

If all you are desiring to do is size and mix a bit of residue then utilize your existing disc and only run it a few inches deep at the most, and keep $60k in your pocket.

If you truly want to do vertical tillage, then that's another ball game.

Snipe likes this.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page