Keeton Firmers vs Schaffert Rebounders - The Combine Forum

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Keeton Firmers vs Schaffert Rebounders

Bringing up the old comparison of keetons vs schafferts. Hoping to hear from guys that have ran both because I am torn between the two right now. I will be putting them on both my 16 row john deere planter and 30ft landoll drill, tired of not keeping my seed in the ground, not worried about fertilizer as I already have totally tubular. 75% of what I plant with my planter is no-till into heavy wheat stubble or corn stalks, the rest is strip till. My drill is most commonly wheat into sunflower stalks but also do a few peas and soybeans into corn stalks. Only plant into wet conditions once every 5 years or so. I plant some pinto beans and sunflowers also, would the keetons be too hard on those more fragile seeds? Thanks for any input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Gleaner R75
1999 Gleaner R62

2011:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Also seen some from Flo-rite, wouldn't hurt to have a comparison with those as well.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
I recommend the short low profile keeton. Tried a few and that's the one that stays clean of mud for me

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
The Exapta mojo wires are a must with Keaton seed firmers the extra pressure helps a lot with mud sticking to them
ksbeanfarmer and Farmer Roy like this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie.ltd. View Post
The Exapta mojo wires are a must with Keaton seed firmers the extra pressure helps a lot with mud sticking to them
I like the sound of adding extra pressure to my keatons - I haven't heard of those mojo wires but I shall investigate them

as for the original question keeton firmers vs schaffert rebounders . . . .

JD Max Emerge planters
have run nothing
then ran keetons for a few years
then tried rebounders for a couple cos at the time I wanted to run liquid fert & it was easier that way
then ran nothing for a bit
and am now back to using keetons & that's how itll stay
zero till, heavy black self mulching clays, from wet to dry, planting cotton, sorghum, sunflowers, corn, mung beans etc
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
I have run Keatons on a planter and rebounders on my 1890. I think the rebounders hold their shape better but aside from that they do a similar job. I can't see either hurting the seed.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
The new to me JD 1760 planter I purchased recently has the dry tail Keetons, they aren't the short style so I hope the work ok, was curious as to how the Flo-rites worked as they did have a replaceable wear pad and what looked like a better thought out in furrow liquid design, not that I would be running liquid fertilizer down them, but more than likely some other in furrow stuff. Ours has 2x2 openers for the fertilizer so I would use that for the fertilizer. Our older planter never had any seed firmers, so not sure what I will see for results this spring. Should be better on this planter.

I will have to look if mine has the mojo wires, may need them as our soils can get pretty sticky when damp.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Farmer Roy;2727378]I like the sound of adding extra pressure to my keatons - I haven't heard of those mojo wires but I shall investigate them

www.exapta.com they have some good products
Farmer Roy likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfarmer85 View Post
The new to me JD 1760 planter I purchased recently has the dry tail Keetons, they aren't the short style so I hope the work ok, was curious as to how the Flo-rites worked as they did have a replaceable wear pad and what looked like a better thought out in furrow liquid design, not that I would be running liquid fertilizer down them, but more than likely some other in furrow stuff. Ours has 2x2 openers for the fertilizer so I would use that for the fertilizer. Our older planter never had any seed firmers, so not sure what I will see for results this spring. Should be better on this planter.

I will have to look if mine has the mojo wires, may need them as our soils can get pretty sticky when damp.
The Flo-Rite is a nifty design, but it has tended to collect more mud than Keetons, unfortunately.
aussie.ltd. likes this.

-----
-- Matt Hagny,

consulting agronomist since '94, founder Exapta Solutions ('99)

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I've been using keetons for decades to put down 10-34. They are redesigned for this year and look better.

I quit using mojo wires. They wear out the keetons in about 1500 acres on a 16 row, and sometimes ruin the seed firmer if they get caught in stubble when folding. Mojo wires also make the fertilizer a pita. Don't get me wrong, Mojos work great for the first 1000 acres.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page