Disc Drill - The Combine Forum

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Disc Drill

Doing some long hard thinking on a disc drill. Looking for something 40 ft and capable of applying fertilizer while seeding so have been looking at the Bourgault 3720, Morris Razr and Deere 1895.

I've been really liking the looks of the Razr but my biggest problem I am having with going to it is actually the number of openers on the 40 ft 10 in spaced unit. It has 47 seed openers and 24 mid-rows and this just doesn't add up to me when in my mind to make mid-rows work properly you need to have an even number of seed runs. All other brands have 48 openers which also makes them exactly 40 ft wide.

Any thoughts of likes/dislikes or experiences appreciated. I have read most of the posts on here already so looking for some new discussion as most of those threads haven't seen any action in a while.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Don't forget to include the Pillar in your search. Its a solid simple disc design, no mrb required.

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
My experience is with the 1895/90 and 3720.

3720 likes compared to 1895

cuts through trash better (less hairpinning)
Flotation with Hifloat package
closes trench slightly better

1895 likes compared to 3720
Less seed bounce... seed up to 7mph+ with decent seed placement (versus 6mph with Bourgault)
Less maintenance
Closer to "true" notill
MRB are independent not frame mounted like BG

If it came down to Bourgault versus JD in your buying process I would probably go JD unless the idea of a JD aircart gives you a hernia. In my case if I could get a 60-70 foot 1895 I would go with JD, but because that isn't an option the boss has a 3720. I've heard good things about Pillars, but better ask somebody who has one in similar soil types as you. Morris... never heard of her.
SWMan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
This may depend if you are looking new or used, hard to recommend new with so much highly discounted used seeding equipment on the market. I would think if used there would be a lot of decent used 1895's on the market, less of the BG's. My pick would be the 1895 if the tank is OK with you, it is a pretty good all around unit and dealer network would be superior. 8850 gave a pretty good summary of the pros and cons.

Can't comment on the Morris and would avoid the Pillar unless you have dryer or lighter soil.
bradw2 likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Don't forget to include the Pillar in your search. Its a solid simple disc design, no mrb required.
I've looked hard at the Pillar and like the design but my biggest issue convincing myself to go that way is using NH3 and high rates I'm scared that the separation may become an issue.
BrianTee likes this.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

The tank is not on the table right now, would be matching up what I currently have with what I get.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Been running John Deere no-till disk drill since I was 15 years old 750, then 1850-1860 and now 1890. One thing that has never changed is the ridiculous cost of maintaining these drills. Seems like that 25-30000 acres and you need to budget large yearly services. Because of this we now designate all cereal crops to 1870 conservapak. The 1890 is strictly for canola and soybeans....
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
we are running a 3710 bourgault 60ft with 10 inch spacing. love the machine except the midrows throw wet mud on the seeding disks which prevents them from turning. makes a great seedbed and runs awesome with the midrows raised up but when you have them down it can be kind of a pita. If you are running lighter soils (not redriver clay) then you shouldnt have an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveschill View Post
Been running John Deere no-till disk drill since I was 15 years old 750, then 1850-1860 and now 1890. One thing that has never changed is the ridiculous cost of maintaining these drills. Seems like that 25-30000 acres and you need to budget large yearly services. Because of this we now designate all cereal crops to 1870 conservapak. The 1890 is strictly for canola and soybeans....

25-30,000 is a lot of acres for some of us. What kind of $ figure are you looking at?? I run a cross slot so I'm sympathetic to high dollar parts. At least Gaber makes discs now that are nearly as good and only $36 (us) compared to $215 for the cross slot branded ones. Makes the drill MUCH more affordable to run.

"Never deliberately make an enemy in life, you'll make plenty by accident." Abraham Lincoln
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesofgrain View Post
25-30,000 is a lot of acres for some of us. What kind of $ figure are you looking at?? I run a cross slot so I'm sympathetic to high dollar parts. At least Gaber makes discs now that are nearly as good and only $36 (us) compared to $215 for the cross slot branded ones. Makes the drill MUCH more affordable to run.
My previous 1890 was bought new in 2008.
We put approx 5 to 6000 acres on per season this includes spring and winter wheat seedings.
Spring of 2014 was $4000 worth of parts and labor
Spring of 2015 was $22000 worth of parts and labor
Spring of 2016 was $12000 worth of parts and labor

Parts include bearings, seals, disks, seed boots bolts and bushings, seed tubes, T-Handles and depth gauges.

Every part is expensive and unit is a miserable SOB to work on as-well. BUT the unit does a fantastic job of seeding. John Deere dealer is two miles from my shop.

Traded for another 1890. Opted for 10" spacing this time around instead of 7.5"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page