Rotary Ditchers? - The Combine Forum

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rotary Ditchers?

We've come to the point where we feel we need to make some serious investments in putting precision drainage into our land, we're looking into tile drainage and will likely start dabbling with it over the next few years... however, in the meantime we're wanting to do proper surface drainage by gps. We're looking into splitting a ditching set-up with our neighbor who already has a Trimble FM1000 screen and runs RTK signal. The last few years have been so wet no one's been able to make any cuts with normal scrapers which turned us to looking at rotary ditchers. 2 in particular, Dynamic Ditcher's Wolverine and Artel Farm's T-Rex... both are built within 20 minutes of us and both appear to be made to handle the wet falls we need to be able to ditch in. Between the 2 we like the looks of the T-Rex more as it's a simpler design and their promo videos show it ditching through fields where a wheeled tractor couldn't even drive. My question is if any of you guys have first hand experience with either of the machines, the T-Rex in particular? What's maintenance like on these things? Are there other machines out there capable of ditching through nasty wet falls you'd recommend?

Also, what is all required for setting up a Trimble GPS drainage system? We'd have the FM1000 screen with RTK signal, so from my understanding all we would need is the ditching software installed and an RTK receiver on the ditcher?

Thanks

"Though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine. Though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren. Though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns lie empty. Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in the God of my salvation." Habakkuk 3:17-18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Depends on your tractor, you may need an external valve to run your blade up and down automatically if the tractor does not support it through its own system.

Brother in law runs a wolverine i believe. loves not having to spread out piles, didn't sound like much more maintenance than an auger. He's in hilly stone ground.

Where im at in the rrv some have come into the area in 2012 only draw back in flat ground is you can't pile it where you want it and fill in low spots. do you currently have a scraper and looking to upgrade or are you adding this to your line of equipment? I'd have a tough time loosing control over placement, but every situation is different.

Windmillfarms likes this.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I haven't personally ran one, but some people I know got a wolverine for this fall and it barely moved, couldn't handle the moisture. Last time I checked it was packed solid full of mud, glad I didn't have to pick that one out

The t Rex looks more promising to me in the soup, but wondering what the field finish would be like with just a circular trench cut as far as driving across it

Just my thoughts, worth what you paid for them.

Trent's Custom harvesting, southern manitoba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenageFarmer View Post
We've come to the point where we feel we need to make some serious investments in putting precision drainage into our land, we're looking into tile drainage and will likely start dabbling with it over the next few years... however, in the meantime we're wanting to do proper surface drainage by gps. We're looking into splitting a ditching set-up with our neighbor who already has a Trimble FM1000 screen and runs RTK signal. The last few years have been so wet no one's been able to make any cuts with normal scrapers which turned us to looking at rotary ditchers. 2 in particular, Dynamic Ditcher's Wolverine and Artel Farm's T-Rex... both are built within 20 minutes of us and both appear to be made to handle the wet falls we need to be able to ditch in. Between the 2 we like the looks of the T-Rex more as it's a simpler design and their promo videos show it ditching through fields where a wheeled tractor couldn't even drive. My question is if any of you guys have first hand experience with either of the machines, the T-Rex in particular? What's maintenance like on these things? Are there other machines out there capable of ditching through nasty wet falls you'd recommend?

Also, what is all required for setting up a Trimble GPS drainage system? We'd have the FM1000 screen with RTK signal, so from my understanding all we would need is the ditching software installed and an RTK receiver on the ditcher?

Thanks
http://www.farmshow.com/images/resiz.../2/16221_l.jpg

We have a rotary ditcher that mounts on the 3pt hitch and we run it with a 7930 JD tractor. It works good for us. I can fling mud out of over a foot of standing water 150+ feet all day long and it never plugs. I actually go out ditching when the water is standing that way I can make sure it(the water) follows me when I cut a ditch.

I've looked into the gps equipment but the $20,000 price tag stopped me.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmarker View Post
http://www.farmshow.com/images/resiz.../2/16221_l.jpg

We have a rotary ditcher that mounts on the 3pt hitch and we run it with a 7930 JD tractor. It works good for us. I can fling mud out of over a foot of standing water 150+ feet all day long and it never plugs. I actually go out ditching when the water is standing that way I can make sure it(the water) follows me when I cut a ditch.

I've looked into the gps equipment but the $20,000 price tag stopped me.
I have one of those too, works pretty good as long as stones aren't very numerous. You also want to check wind direction before dropping it into the mud and water...
Highmarker likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I have one of those too, works pretty good as long as stones aren't very numerous. You also want to check wind direction before dropping it into the mud and water...
Good point. Another thing to watch for us power lines and roads. Nothing puckers me up like watching a steam of mud and water fly towards a 3 phase power line 😬 I've never hit one but I've been close enough to be concerned.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:20 AM
DDF

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
We have a wolverine, and like it. No experience with the T-Rex other than watching their video's. From what I saw on the videos they are very different machines. If you have a fair amount of stones, I'd go with the T-REX. If you are looking for something more as a "rescue ditcher" to get water off of fields when it's excessively wet, I'd go with the T-REX. Where I think the wolverine shines is maintaining and cutting ditches when conditions are proper. I would assume it would cut a nicer ditch because it has a blade and would feed better with the beater. However, the blade creates issues when things get too wet.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Define "proper"

Conditions were far from what I'd call proper last fall but we had lots to do and we were rolling one way or the other! Right from slop to 3" of frost.

This is setup similar to what the OP describes. We've been doing GPS grade control between various implements for years and through these wet years has paid for itself over and over.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 AM
DDF

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Very Nice! We haven't had ours in those kind of conditions yet, thankfully. In the lighter dirt it is never a problem. In the clay, if it's to sticky we have a tough time, blade starts pushing, plugs up, busts shear pins. It gets the job done eventually. I know the newer design has changed the blade and beater sizes and locations and apparently feeds much better.
We like it, haven't touched scraper since we got it home.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Its night and day difference between the old design and the updated version with the heavy drive line and auto re-setting clutches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page